1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EGR issues...

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by Kkunoth, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Jan 23, 2024 at 9:21 AM
    Kkunoth

Kkunoth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    89 4runner
    Stock
    Hello all,

Looking for a little help if anyone has run into this. I'm not getting good flow from my egr to my egr modulator. The line from the EGR is not supplying enough back pressure from the exhaust to fully open the EGR modulator, to connect ports P and R to port Q and open the EGR fully. The line to port P will get great vacuum pressure from the intake, but when going thru the modulator to Port Q the vacuum is less then 1/2. This tells me the modulator is not fully opening. The modulator and EGR both have been tested and work fine. The Engine is a brand new Yota 1 motor, so compression is not the issue.... Air leak somewhere? I've replaced 80% of the vacuum lines with quality lines from 22RE Performance. I know the answer is the delete the EGR, but I'm in Ca so that's not a solution. Any help would be appreiciated.

2. Jan 23, 2024 at 10:14 AM
    Justthemechanic

Justthemechanic New Member

Member:
    Nevada desert
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 3.0
    OME 2” lift, BudBuilt armor, RRO sliders, Spartan rear locker
    There is an air filter in the modulator. Pull off the black plastic top and remove the filter. A dirty filter will restrict the vacuum flow. If the EGR works without the filter, you can try cleaning the filter.

Kkunoth[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 23, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    Kkunoth

Kkunoth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    89 4runner
    Stock
    Thanks, good advice. I just tried this, removed the filter and drove the truck and no luck. Vacuum still will not get above 5 bars of pressure, but P port will get 15-20... Leads me to think air leak (but the truck runs very good, no harsh idle or surging) or not enough back pressure pushing against the vacuum modulator?

4. Feb 11, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    pfarrellsxz

pfarrellsxz New Member

Member:
    Durango co
    Vehicle:
    1986 toyota 4runner
    Check the exhaust inlets,and the vacuumconnectors on the intake,prob ful of carbon or just remove it

5. Feb 11, 2024 at 12:17 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    While the engine is idling, can you reach and activate the EGR while pressing up the diaphragm to activate it at idle?
    If so and the engine stumbles/almost shuts down, You at least know the inlet and outlet feed into the EGR is not blocked. Have seen several examples of the port from the EGR to the exhaust be blocked and causing zero flow which can cause multiple other issues.

PhantomTweak likes this.
To Top