1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drone Mobile Remote Start & Other Add-Ons

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Bend_4R, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Aug 5, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    When I purchased my new 2024 4Runner Off Road, the salesman and I sat down at his computer and reviewed the options on the Toyota website. I added a TRD skid plate, aftermarket heated leather seats by Katzkin, and a remote start. I had to hassle the dealer and the Katzkin seat installer quite a bit to get the heated seat switches in the factory location in the center console, and for the red stitching, I requested. The stitching was missed, and I made them re-order the leather to my specifications.

While I knew up front that a third party did the leather seats and am very happy with the finished product, I was unaware that the remote start was also a third party. My dealership used Drone Mobile, an app-based remote start. The app works fine, but I expected a different key fob with a start button. But the bigger issue is the app is subscription based, and I have to pay in order to use remote start. Considering this was a $750 option, it is annoying that I need to pay $50/year to use remote start.

Is anyone else using Drone Mobile? It is what it is, but I wish the dealership would have explained this before I made the purchase. Does Toyota offer a key-fob based remote start?

2. Aug 5, 2024 at 2:43 PM
    dgtulsaguy

dgtulsaguy Rocklanding Jedi Master equivalent

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 MGM ORP long travel
    Typically hitting lock 3 times on the OEM fob will start the vehicle. I use the 12volt solutions kit on my Tundra and that's how it works.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2024 at 2:45 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have no idea if there were other solutions for my 4Runner since I mistakenly trusted my dealership.

dgtulsaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2024 at 3:25 PM
    dgtulsaguy

dgtulsaguy Rocklanding Jedi Master equivalent

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 MGM ORP long travel
    There are a few companies that do remote start If your kit is the same as mine, there is no subscription required for using the fob. I like the app service tho, It knows whether the car is locked or not. It's nice being able to confirm you have locked your vehicle from miles away or unlock remotely for someone if necessary.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I don't mind the app, and I was able to start my car with the FOB, but when I open the door it shuts off, which seems counter-intuitive. It just annoys me that the app requires a subscription. Nowadays we get nickel and dimed by all these apps that are "only $5.99/month" and it all adds up to real money quickly.

TimGinCentralNJ likes this.
  6. Aug 15, 2024 at 12:32 PM
    rwturbo

rwturbo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ronnie
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner
    I have drone app and and Compustar remote start/ alarm on my 2018. Love it but the app coverage can be spotty as far as the cell service to the module in the truck.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 16, 2024 at 9:08 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    I had the Drone Mobile with Compustar on my previous car and think it was the best thing since sliced bread. Still have the second drone mobile on my wife car so I can track where she is going... just kidding. She likes that she can start without taking out the FOB from her purse. Her car is 13 years old and occasionally gets some wired electrical glitch where she can not open the doors with the FOB, so drone mobile to the rescue. One time she was up north camping with her sister and my son and that happened. Was able to open up from my living room 250Km away. BUT yea the monthly payment is annoying. On my 4 Runner I have the remote start from Toyota but that also cost $10/month here in Canada.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top