1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash mpg range totally off

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Bobbychow305, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Jul 8, 2023 at 4:42 PM
    Bobbychow305

Bobbychow305 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey gang! Today after driving ( half tank) and starting later during errands.The fuel gauge shows yellow light and dash range shows 30 miles. I know it's way off bc my average total miles is 375 full tank. I reset all odometer after refuel and I have 100 miles left. The yellow went away and back to half range but dash mpg still shows 25 miles left. I try resetting but only avg and mpg resets and not mile range. Any clarification to explain this?

2. Jul 8, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5, 2017 Tacoma TRDOR
    It is based on how you drive. The estimated range is not an exact number. But also, notice that it goes down faster when you get near or below a quarter tank. I believe this is to ensure you get to a gas station. Notice when you fill up, even from something like 5 miles until empty, you still have a couple of gallons left in the tank based on what the pump shuts off at.

Forgive me if I'm completely missing what you're trying to describe.

3. Jul 8, 2023 at 5:52 PM
    Bobbychow305

Bobbychow305 [OP] New Member

Member:
    let me clarify. my fuel gauge when yellow light ( meaning approachig empty) than back to normal ( 50% left which is accurate) but the computer dash still shows 25 miles left range which is incorrect. How do I reset the mile range computer? or will it reset when I refuel?

4. Jul 8, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    To my knowledge, you can't reset the Distance to Empty without filling the tank. You can only reset the Avg MPG and Avg MPH. DTE will reset to 350 miles or something like that when you fill the tank again.

Products Discussed in

To Top