1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computer Builds...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mainerunr, Aug 30, 2024.

1. Aug 30, 2024 at 6:21 AM
    mainerunr

mainerunr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    Enough people here that I'm sure some have built their own computers for whatever reason. Currently on a laptop working out a build list for a desktop for general use (limited gaming, some AutoCAD and Revit, converting bluray rips to mp4 to put on my server, etc).

I prefer air cooled so wattage is a concern (hence the 9700x). here's the current list:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 9700x (yeah, I know, not much uplift from the 7000 series but a huge step up from my current i7-9750H
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B650M Mortar Wifi (or Tomahawk Wifi depending on where I land with the case).
    CPU Cooler: ThermalRight Phantom Spirit 120 SE
    RAM: 2x32Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000
    M.2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (boot/applications) and another 1TB (Media)
    GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT or MSI 4060TI 16GB (haven't decided I'd prefer to stay all AMD but the 4060ti is about half the wattage and similar performance)
    Case: I originally wanted a Jonsbo TK-1 but I have heard airflow isn't great. So NZX H6 Flow, Lian Li 011 Air Mini, Thermaltake Core V21 or Fractal Design Torrent Compact.
    Power Supply: Corsair RM850e

I ordered the CPU Cooler yesterday because I'm hoping to get to MicroCenter this weekend and they do not carry it. About 15 minutes after placing the order I realized that it has 42mm clearance for RAM and the RAM I want is 44mm tall so I'll either need to move the fans up 2mm or switch to shorter RAM (G.Skill Flare X5 is only 33mm tall)

Current NAS specs:
    CPU: AMD 5600G
    Motherboard: MSI Pro B550M-VC Wifi
    RAM: Crucial 2x16gb DDR4-3200 (forget which model, it was something I had laying around from somewhere.
    Boot Drive: dual kingston 128gb m.2 (mirrored)
    App Drive: Dual Samsung 860 EVO 500gb 2.5" Sata (mirrored)
    Storage: Dual WD 8tb (shucked from a couple of their USB drives)(mirrored)
    Case: NZXT H7 Flow (it was available locally but will need to be switched out for something with more drive bays).
    Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Running a Jellyfin server with all my CD's available (.FLAC) and most of my movies (.MKV uncompressed or .MP4). The debate is whether to add another pair of drives (any size) as a separate mirrored pool or add 3 8TB drives and create a new pool with 5 drives in a RaidZ2 configuration (which should give me about 3x the storage I currently have).

The NAS is only on the local network. Backup is currently a WD 5TB portable.

I'm not good with linux commands so I end up having to look everything up and then I forget how I did it.

Bob and icebear like this.
  2. Sep 15, 2024 at 8:39 PM
    meats

meats New Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray TRD OR
    2/1 Cornfed Leveling kit Sway Bar Delete 285/70/17 - Arroyo Tamarock M/T
    I'm on my 8700k 1080TI beast. Love this rig ^^

3. Sep 15, 2024 at 9:52 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Used to build them all the time back in the day. Just fell out of love with the hobby. Still love working on them and finding work arounds. I'm still running a 2009 quad core processor that I cloned over to an SSD and found a way to run Windows 11 on it following the instructions from some YouTube channel. Started out as a Windows 7 unit, doesn't run at blazing speeds, but it's still good enough for entertainment purposes.

icebear likes this.
  4. Sep 15, 2024 at 10:19 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Was this a system that Windows Update said isn't compatible with 11 yet? I didn't know there was a way to work around that

5. Sep 16, 2024 at 4:24 AM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Yes, it was for those systems. I'm not recommending anyone do what I did, but I did watch this guy's videos on YouTube. It's 9 months old now though. I used this method on my laptop too, but now every time I restart my laptop I have to right click to open the windows folder pinned to my taskbar, then click remove from taskbar, then click add to taskbar again, just to get it open the folder from the taskbar, and allow me access to the system settings and everything else. My 2009 machine works flawlessly though.

https://youtu.be/ug__CVQQQsc?si=O9r8EvZhP9jlMRN1

Bob[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top