1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chasing front end squeak, replaced almost everything

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by ElTrucko, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Apr 21, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    ElTrucko

ElTrucko [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blk V8 Lim
    Stockaroo
    2005 v8 with 223k miles

There is a metallic rubbing sounding squeak that is only audible when slowing driving through parking lots in the sub 15mph range. It's not triggered by turning the wheel but instead happens with slight jarring of the frame through bumps or uneven pavement.

I've replaced the UCA and LCA, struts, axles, and sway bar links on both sides. Haven't touched the tie-rods, or sway bar bushings but they also didn't look bad in anyway and turning the wheel doesn't illicit the noise.

Can the body mounts squeak like that? It feels like it's that kind of movement that causes the noise, like if the truck rolls over something slightly uneven and it's the body shaking on the frame making the noise.

Anyway, being my first 4runner/4x4 I'm unsure if the body/chassis mounts can make that kind of noise and if not, could it be motor mounts?

2. Apr 21, 2024 at 5:10 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Yes.

ElTrucko[OP] likes this.
  3. May 4, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    ElTrucko

ElTrucko [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blk V8 Lim
    Stockaroo
    Well. Turns out it wasn't a FRONT end squeak. Which is still surprising because even knowing where the sound is coming from it still sounds like it's in the front.

However once it was up on a rack it was discovered that my rear sway bar is snapped in half. As the recent acquirer of this vehicle I can say it wasn't done by me but I'm not entirely sure how they did it. How do you snap a rear sway bar? Did they try to crawl in this thing?

Also turns out this is like the only bit of suspension that isn't shared with the Tundra and Tacoma I guess because they don't come with them. I truly am a truck newb I just assumed all vehicles had both front and rear sway bars. This just means that unlike every other piece of suspension for this vehicle this part is only offered by a few retailers. Solution, I'm on my way to the local Pick-n-pull which luckily enough has a same year v8 which i'm keeping two fingers crossed still has it's rear sway bar attached.

4. May 4, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Tundras and Tacomas came with leaf springs up until recently I believe, so they wouldn't have a rear anti sway bar. Side to side movement is less prominent with leafs.

ElTrucko[OP] likes this.
  5. May 11, 2024 at 8:37 AM
    ElTrucko

ElTrucko [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blk V8 Lim
    Stockaroo
    Ok, so. How do I get the new sway bar back in there without a lift? Looks like passenger side if I take the muffler off I might have enough room to work it in there. What's the trick I'm too newbish to know or see?

Products Discussed in

To Top