1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing Out Silver Lower Valances for Black

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by benny4runner, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    benny4runner

benny4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    I've recently purchased a new 2023 Black 4Runner ORP with the XP Predator upgrades like the skid plate, predator step bars, and TRD alloy rims, but a big issue I have is the silver lower valances in the front and rear which stand out, and contrast the otherwise fully blacked out truck. I'm wondering, A) where should I look to buy the replacements for these parts in black instead of silver, and B) how do I change it with the TRD skid plate underneath as all tutorials I've found are without that... Finally is it best to have someone do this for me or is it worth the time and effort to try and fix it myself?

2. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:40 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Welcome to the forum!

Some people have had them wrapped with vinyl. Others have painted them but I think that's quite a bit more work to prep so the paint will stick.

I removed my front valance to install a low pro bumper. I've heard you can do the fronts without removing bumper cover but unsure if skid gets in the way - you may have to take that off but it should be relatively easy. For the rear, I've heard you have to remove the bumper cover. I have a flat black valance for the rear yet to be installed but I took a look and don't see a way to do it without removing plastic.

Your best bet is to find other threads and find out what others have done. I use Google to ask my question and follow it with "site: 4runners.com" to find threads. I didn't like the OEM/Pro valence because they look gloss and I wanted flat so I bought my rear from CTH. Looks fine but won't know fitment until I install in a couple of weeks

3. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:47 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    I agree that wrapping it or painting it won't be appropriate for me.. I checked and you would need to remove the skid plate if you want to undo the valence without removing the front bumper and I'm not sure how hard that part is. You need to remove the bumper cover for the back, but that doesn't seem too difficult. I'm just curious where I should purchase the parts, whether I want glossy or flat black (the truck is currently the full glossy black so I wonder if the valance should match the body or the matte black details such as the predator steps and the rims), and how I would remove the skid plate and valance on the front and the bumper cover and valance on the back. I also don't know which tools are necessary for these steps and would like to buy everything necessary in one go so that the process of switching out the valances is not a multi-day process.

Thanks for your help nonetheless!

4. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:51 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    Removing the skid plate is super easy. You can do it 5 minutes. No special tools needed, except a trim popper to release it from the air dam.

RumHamRunner73 likes this.
  5. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    Lockdown

Lockdown New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
  6. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    wax poetic

wax poetic Raking like a mofo

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size / OEM Black Lug nuts OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    This is all super easy. As for where to get them it depends on what you're looking for. A few places have replica parts, there are a few online toyota dealers that have better prices than going in to the dealer, or you can look on ebay/offerup/fb market place and try to find the oem parts used

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Well I know from cutting out and removing the front valence there are just plastic clips that slide out, no special tool required. I assume the rear is the same.

That just leaves getting to them. For the skids and bumper covers, a simple ratchet and metric socket set is probably enough. Maybe some screwdrivers. I just bought a plastic tool pry kit to help remove trim without damaging it.

As far as flat vs gloss, that's a personal choice. Try to find images of black 4runners with each to see what floats your boat

broken-giver likes this.
  8. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    How heavy is it and is it a multiple-person job? I presume you just use a ratchet wrench to loosen all the bolts that hold it up and somehow lower it down safely. But after that, you would have to also remove the air dam and then shove your hands up under the car to get the clips off.

9. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:57 PM
    Saker

Saker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black T4RORP
    I replaced mine with OEM TRDPro black valances front and rear.
    I looked at youtube vids before ordering and if a 69 year old can contort this arms to change the front valance, so can you. Don't pay anyone to do this!
    Rear, watch vids, remove the back cover and replace your valance!

Best of luck!

dand and donnermel like this.
  10. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:58 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size / OEM Black Lug nuts OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    MT hunter likes this.
  11. Jun 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    Where is the best place to buy OEM black glossy valances? If I decide to go the matte route I can simply use the 4Runner Lifestyle ones.

12. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:01 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    How heavy is what, the skid plate? I wouldn't let my 6 year old daughter take it off by herself but any adult could probably handle it on their own. That said, having an extra pair of hands is always nice

13. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:02 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
  14. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    I'm not the biggest guy and I've removed the skid plate (a good time to check the threads and put on a little anti-seize too) by myself each time I swapped valences and doing my oil change ... all on the ground with no stands or ramps. There's no reason you can't do this.

Saker likes this.
  15. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    Saker

Saker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black T4RORP
    I bought mine locally because I was given internet pricing match........
    You'll just have to look and then call your local dealership parts and ask them if they can match that price, you may be surprised!

16. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:06 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    Hahaha. Looking for parts and buying stuff is the scariest part it feels like... But once I decide what finish I want then its just browsing online for the parts... Should I be scared to buy a used valance? Also are there any points where you need special tools aside from basic ones?

17. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:08 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    No special tools needed at all. And buying anything used is buying anything used. If there are any scratches make sure you're ok with them. I bought both oem valences and my heritage grill used. A couple small blemishes but I got oem at the price of aftermarket. It just comes down to what you want and what you want to spend. I'd start there

Deuxdiesel likes this.
  18. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:13 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    I just sent a message to the Toyota dealership where I bought my car's website to see if they have the OEM replacements in the glossy black. I personally think that aligns more with my preferences. Now that I know the process of replacing the valances won't be difficult it's just looking for what I want at a reasonable price. Also, what do you think the shipping time is for car parts like these?

Saker likes this.
  19. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:16 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    The one oem part (the upper grill) I had to order that I couldn't find used took about a week to get. I can't imagine these would take any longer than that but I hope you're ready for the sticker shock haha. I'd look at online toyota oem part suppliers first so you can ask your dealer to match

20. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    A good plan since they ought to be a more substantial price... I definitely want to change this though so I'll just have to see how I should go about doing it. It's good to know that I can confidently do this myself without much grief. Do I need extra clips off Amazon for the valance in case some break?

21. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    No, they won't break. If you're doing both at the same time start with the back one so you can see how the clips work. That way if you do the front without taking off the bumper it will be (slightly) less frustrating. (There is a lot of feeling around the first time you do it)

22. Jun 16, 2023 at 4:23 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    I like that idea! Is there any specific way I need to position the car so I don't have to contort myself in crazy ways or just outside with good light? Also, when taking off the back bumper it looks scary having to pry it off but I would most likely not damage the body of the truck, right? Also, what's your advice for finding prices to compare to or places to buy it in general?

23. Jun 16, 2023 at 9:55 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Have you watched any of the suggested YT videos yet? They will answer everything you've asked already, and probably questions you haven't thought of yet.

24. Jun 16, 2023 at 9:59 PM
    benny4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4Runner ORP
    I did watch those videos and I’m confident with being able to do it. I bought the parts new from a website and they’re OEM. I didn’t want matte so this was the only option but I am wondering if the black will match the black on my car.. Do you know?

25. Jun 16, 2023 at 10:39 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman New Member

Member:
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Cheaper and easier just to paint them with SEM trim black spray paint

26. Jun 16, 2023 at 10:41 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I don't. If you see a black 4Runner Pro at a dealer or running about, that will be what they look like.
    This is a pretty good video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9fqvTjMAb4

27. Jun 17, 2023 at 9:10 AM
    wax poetic

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    It's black plastic, not painted, so it will not 100% match. It will look like other black trim pieces.

28. Jun 18, 2023 at 6:34 PM
    HazOpRed

HazOpRed 22' TRDOR

Member:
    I bought a pair of valences to paint when I get around to it. Don't really feel like sanding very often

29. Jun 25, 2023 at 7:19 PM
    kkqewl

kkqewl New Member

Member:
    Montreal, QC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road
    Used a dark grey Plastidip style paint which was super easy to apply and has held up suprsingly well for two years now.

30. Jun 25, 2023 at 11:30 PM
    Foothills

Foothills New Member

Member:
    Some dealerships offer to black out the 4R valances with LineX or similar relatively smooth bedliner before vehicle delivery for minimal cost, maybe sales forgot to mention to you and sales manager can help with that.

Products Discussed in

To Top