1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing out front headlights and fog lights

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by HP15LTD, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Jul 25, 2024 at 4:33 PM
    HP15LTD

HP15LTD [OP] New Member

Member:
    I drive in the mountains off-road around 10%-15% of the time, both day and night. Deer are rampant in the area so I really needed some additional road illumination, especially on the sides of the road. I didn’t want to put LED’s for the headlights because I also drive in more congested urban areas and feel like the normal brights are fine when there’s no coming traffic—and the LED’s are just more than I want to put out into coming traffic. I went with halogens, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra for the 9005 bulbs and Sylvania H11 Xtravision for the low beam. On the fog lights, I did go with the LED because I really only use those in the mountains and there is little traffic and they are down low—but give much better side of the road coverage which will hopefully pick up any deer before they can do any damage. I’ve already got the fog lights installed and put in Auxito H11 — there are many to choose from but the output was similar to others and very inexpensive on Amazon. BTW, I used a YTube video by Lion Runner on my Limited to change them and you DON’T have to remove the front chrome bumper cover and the shield on top! There’s a video showing this method, but really is only needed if you are going to change the entire fog lamp. The Limited is different than other models because there is a plastic housing around the fog light lamp which isn’t on the other models, but you only have to remove the cable to the lamp first and you can take them out just like any other model. The clamp holding the cable to the lamp is a little difficult because it is on the top of the connector and you have to pull it back to remove the cable. I’m no mechanic but just followed the steps in the video and got it done. https://youtu.be/dlrgTIjW8ek?si=d4MWcOJbdRjIsCkF

2. Jul 25, 2024 at 8:40 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Isn't that the same guy has a video how to change the fog light housing on a Limited without removing the bumper? :D:D

3. Jul 26, 2024 at 3:41 AM
    HP15LTD

HP15LTD [OP] New Member

Member:
    @kmeeg - yeah that’s what’s in my post - recommend Lion Runner’s videos

4. Jul 26, 2024 at 5:34 AM
    Kezin

Kezin New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 and ‘17 Limiteds
    Look at the profile pic for @kmeeg

5. Jul 26, 2024 at 7:15 AM
    HP15LTD

HP15LTD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey “kmeeg” LOL Guess that was truly an unsolicited testimonial. Thanks for the vid. Getting those cables off was a b&#ch! Went back to your video a couple of times. On the passenger side finally figured out it was easier to come up from the bottom to undo the clip so took the shield off (didn’t have to do that on the drivers side). Keep the vids coming!

6. Jul 26, 2024 at 8:26 AM
    EC15

EC15 ...

Member:
    How do you change the rear headlights? :D

7. Jul 26, 2024 at 8:29 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    i have auxito led's in a couple spots and they have held up great.

8. Jul 26, 2024 at 8:37 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Ha ha, will continue to share things I do to mine and my friends 4Runners :D:D:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top