1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter - 2020 or 2021 Venture

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by feebee45, Nov 26, 2020.

?

I have had my Cat Converter stolen on a 2018-2021 4 Runner

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Nov 26, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    feebee45

feebee45 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mandy
    Chicago, IL
    Vehicle:
    1995 SR5 - Looking for new
    Hi ALL~

I had a 2nd gen runner for 17 years and sold it six years ago. I had my cat stolen 3 times (Chicago, do not have a garage) and finally just had a straight pipe welded on and did that for the following many years until I sold it to someone who was going to restore it.

I now have my heart set on another one. I am really liking the venture - b/c the PRO is a bit out of my budget. I have heard that it's harder to steal the 4 cats on it now, vs the one before. TOYOTA tells me NOTHING. My local mechanic said cats are hot on the prius now, and he has not seen many runners in the past few years. That being said, in the city there are not that many 4 runners (esp with no garage access).

Does anyone have info on CAT thefts on the newer 4 runner models? I heard they changed the location in the Tacoma, but not the 4 runner, but that they are harder to steal now than before.

ive heard custom skid plates with proper vent can possibly prevent theft. I have heard bad things about the cat clamp (my mechanic said they rust and then spread rust to the car?).

ANY Info from you guys would be so helpful. The cat theft was such an expense and buzz kill - but if i have any car at all, I want a 4 runner.

2. Nov 26, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Sounds like a lot of hearsay. Do you not currently have a car? That’s ok if no. But, what makes a 4Runner catalytic converter more desired than another?

Just get one if that’s what you want.

3. Nov 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM
    Redned

Redned New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Off Road Premium w/ KDSS
    Bilstein 6112/ 5112 suspension. RCI sliders, ARB skid plates, Icon UCA’s, Icon 2” rear coils, TRD LED fog lights, 30” LED light bar. TSO Grille. 285/70/17 BFG KO2’s, Icon Vector 6 wheels. Weathertech floor mats. 2.5”/ 2” lift. K&N CAI.
    Had the catalytic converter stolen from my wife’s Prius. Had to buy a skid plate to cover the CAT on the Prius so it doesn’t happen again. There has been rash of thefts from Prius in the SF Bay Area, they are targeting older Priuses. The guy at the Toyota dealer said he hasn’t seen one in a 4Runner. The Prius CAT must have better metals in it. I wouldn’t worry about it.

4. Nov 26, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    feebee45

feebee45 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mandy
    Chicago, IL
    Vehicle:
    1995 SR5 - Looking for new
    @Dark Knight - my post says i have not had a car in 6 years. My last runner had the cat stolen 3 times. In chicago - they TARGET 4 runners. It's a thing. According to the police and mechanics - it's the ease of removal based on location of the cat - and the metals used by toyota in them. In present times, it seems as if they prefer the PRIUS. I am trying to find out WHY - so i dont have to deal with one theft after another. your post was kind of rude and had you read mine, you could have not responded.

@Redned - thanks for your reply. you def get what im saying and that's what ive heard here in Chicago. Hope that skid plate works for your wife's car.

Best - and Happy T day. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top