1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can anyone in TX give a lecture on how to outfit a 4 wheel drive vehicle for field work?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Geary, Sep 13, 2024 at 8:24 AM.

1. Sep 13, 2024 at 8:24 AM
    Geary

Geary [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geary
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Additional Leaf Spring
    Hello to the 4Runner Community, I'm a retired geologist in San Antonio, Texas and done a fair amount of 4 wheeling and remote work as part of my job. I'm the co-chair a large event/workshop for college students studying geology, hydrology, and environmental science coming up in a few weeks. The focus of the workshop is to expose the students to field data collection methods - rock identification, water and soil collection methods, stream gaging, etc. Many of these students will graduate and be working in remote locations doing field work and using off road vehicles. Some of them have probably never changed a tire, let alone driven off road.

I'm looking for some folks that would be willing to give a lecture/module on how to outfit a 4 wheel drive vehicle for field work (spare tire, jack, tire iron, field aid kit, water, tow strap, fire extinguisher, air compressor, etc), cover driving safety, how to change a tire, get stuck and unstuck, etc. This might be a good opportunitiy to get your tires rotated by a bunch of college students.

The workshop is scheduled for October 4-6, 2024 at Cave Without a Name near Boerne, Texas with the off road vehicle module scheduled for Saturday (October 5). We're expecting about 250 students representing most of the colleges from across Texas. It's a lot of fun and we can feed you breakfast and dinner and give you a cool T-shirt. You can see more about the workshop by going to our web page at https://hydrogeoworkshop.org/

If you think you would like to help, please feel free to email me directly for more information at tablechair1492@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Geary

icebear and Bob like this.
  2. Sep 13, 2024 at 1:12 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: @triplecchopshop

Member:
    First Name:
    ChrisTopher
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 T4R
    Just bought dat bish
    We’ve got a group going to Hidden Falls Adventure Park next weekend Sep 21st and 22nd. You should join us and you can see first hand everyone’s mods and what their capabilities are. I’ll be there along with some local shop owners and you can pick all our brains on what’s going to be best for your situation. You can shoot me a PM and I can give you my number if you like.

Bob and Geary[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 13, 2024 at 1:49 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    Good set of tires for a 4runner

Bob likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM
    Geary

Geary [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geary
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Additional Leaf Spring
    Thank you Texoma, but I'm buried with herding cats for this workshop. So won't be able to make it. Wish I could. I did have someone PR me that is interested in helping and is trying to work it in the schedule. THANKS, Geary

Texoma and Bob like this.
To Top