1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake hydraulic actuator

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Trbox!73, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Jul 19, 2024 at 4:07 PM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    anyone had to replace this item on a 2002 4 Runner and at what cost. Thx

2. Jul 19, 2024 at 7:54 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    I'm assuming you're referring to the master cylinder/ABS assembly??

3. Jul 19, 2024 at 8:40 PM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mechanic typed up as; "Brake Hydraulic Actuator" to replace (brake actuator unit)
    at a cost of $2260.

4. Jul 19, 2024 at 8:52 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    That sounds about right, I just replaced my master cylinder/ABS assembly on my 2004 T4R with a new OEM assembly, the 2002 assembly has a different part number but looks exactly like mine, I did all the labor to replace mine, the labor should be about 2 to 3 hours at whatever rate they charge and then a markup on the parts, the new assembly and fluids cost me $1500 with shipping included and that the cheapest of 4 different prices I found.

Here's a link for your assembly from the same dealer I got mine from, don't go by the discount price shown because your mechanic will be charging you at least the MSRP shown which is $1703.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem...year=2002&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()

5. Jul 20, 2024 at 12:27 AM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Excellent info.! Thank You! I'm getting an occasional metal griding noise for spit second once or twice a day. No braking issues as of yet. Was your story similar?

6. Jul 20, 2024 at 5:16 AM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    Where does the noise seem to be coming from?

7. Jul 20, 2024 at 7:23 AM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Under front end. Mechanic said he felt a vibration through the brake pedal but noise only happens for a split second and only once or twice a day. I don't drive the 4 Runner everyday. Probably 20 miles per week.

8. Jul 20, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    Can't say for sure without hearing the sound..but if it sounds like it's coming from behind the instrument cluster it could very well be the little electric motor that runs the pump to build up pressure for the ABS system and the power brake assist which is a part of the master cylinder/ABS assembly, it could also be from the little pump that the motor runs.

The motor normally does run sporadically as the pressure in the system is depleted...but usually it just a buzzing sound when the motor runs, if it's grinding the brushes are probably worn out, the motor itself can be replaced with either a rebuilt one or a new one for about $500 just for a new one, but if the pump is bad you can replace both as a assembly for about $750 for a new assembly, but the labor will be more since they have to do the same work to remove and reinstall the entire assembly but also have to replace the parts on the old assembly before reinstalling it.

My motor had stop working all together and I didn't want to hope replacing parts fixed it, so I choose to replace the entire assembly since I needed my vehicle ASAP and only want to do the work one time, so I choose to buy once and cry once.

If yours fail completely you will have very little brake pedal and it will be hard as a rock and very hard or almost impossible to stop the vehicle which is what happened in my case, also mine had the "brake" light come on and a high pitched alarm when the brake pedal was hard.

9. Jul 20, 2024 at 2:31 PM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for that info. My noise , although seldom, is a loud metal screech. Hits instantaneously and stops-- once or twice a day. Will definitely put in shop if I notice any brake change. Just seems like $2260 is awfully high.

AuSeeker likes this.
  10. Jul 20, 2024 at 2:37 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    Just keep in mind the motor could fail at any time without warning, if that's the issue, if it does you will not have any brakes, in such case I would do what I had to do to get stopped, down shifting the transmission and applying the parking brake to come to a complete stop, you can also try the brake pedal but it will not help much..but still a little bit!!

11. Jul 20, 2024 at 4:00 PM
    Trbox!73

Trbox!73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Great advice. Thank you! Mechanic said it "could" go two years. Just no way to know." Luckily, I primarily use it for camping and drive it very few miles a week. It has been a fabulous vehicle!!!

AuSeeker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top