1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best general off-road suspension

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by xmt037, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    ARB Skid Plates, FrontRunner SlimLine2 rack, 31" KO2s
    I have a 2021 4Runner ORP with stock suspension. Currently eyeing a Bilstein 5100 system for general offroading in Baja, Mexico, forest roads, and difficult spots along forest roads. No rock crawling or "crazy" offroading. Would the Bilsteins get the job done? I heard that ARB BP-51s are far superior, but this would run me around $6K including labor. Thanks so much in advance.

2. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    General rule is, cheap shocks like 5100s will have performance degrade rather quickly when doing runs down Baja and the like.

Rock crawling means slow moving, so you could get away with air shocks even. Just mentioning this as many confuse shock style or type and application.

For forest roads, you're better off keeping it stock. Even "difficult" spots are meant to get to without much work for fire-related emergencies and the like. Just take it slow.

Figure out what you want to do, really, and how often you do it. Also figure out how much weight you'll want to carry.

Personally, I've always hated Bilstein 5100s and I only had a set in the rear as a back-up set while my Fox were getting revalved. Otherwise, there's good reason why premium shocks cost quite a bit more.

The benefits include - larger shock body, which equates to longer lasting performance, larger diameter shaft, which adds to strength, better inner components, meaning seals will last longer and the oil is of higher quality, better corrosion resistance on the exterior body, customizable valving, to suit your needs and payload, serviceable, meaning you can have them rebuilt as many times as needed versus buying new shocks.

Just up to you to figure out what you really need.

I ran Fox 2.5s on my Tacoma, King 2.5s on my 4Runner, and run Icon 2.0s on my Land Cruiser.

Why did I go 2.0s on the Land Cruiser? It's more of a slow-moving to be rock crawler so dampening isn't needed as much as travel is. Plus Icons being digressive are grear for G outs and the like...much better than the progressives owned before.

Make sure you read replies carefully to separate those suggesting what to buy (only because it's what they want to buy) versus those actually trying to suggest something based on your needs. Too often someone will ask something, and many responses are simply what "they would buy" even if it isn't in your best interest.

3. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Thanks so much. For Baja and "difficult spots" on forest roads (e.g., in California), what would you recommend?

4. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:26 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    With my experience you get what you pay for "generally".

Bilstien5100 are ok but if you spend little more for something like Ironman Foam Cell Pro you get more comfort. I bet if you go OME BP-51 "buy once cry once" you will be very happy. The reason I said that is because I had something called ELKA 2.5DC that has adjusters like BP-51 and I for amazed how they absorb the rut & bumps.

The reason I said "you get what you pay for generally. " is because I had OME Nitro Sports before which are little expensive than Bilstien5100 but they are not comfy as Bilstien5100.

If you can go for the cost of OME BP-51 I thing setups like Fox 2.5DCS, King 2.5A, Dobinson MRR should be also in your radar. Maybe search around there are posts people sharing how they like different setups.

Kwikvette likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    I think I've replied to an old thread of yours awhile back, you're near where I used to live...Monterey Bay area right?

Nothing out there is difficult at all, none of the fire or service roads that is. You could run any of that stuff stock with a quality set of tires.

Same for Baja although you'll run into many "whoops" and washboards.

Just take it extra slow as it's easy to lose control on those and flip your vehicle. Last major washboards I was hitting was about 50mph or so when I ran my King 2.5s and went to Moab.

Not saying you need Kings but, figure out what you want long term first and how much you want to spend.

6. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:30 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Going to Hollister Hills tomorrow if you want to get out and check some setups. Got a friend tagging along and two other forum members possibly.

Meeting at the old school house at 930ish am; I'll be there in the Land Cruiser. Buddies love when I spot for them if there's anything you wish to try out and get done.

7. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:49 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    This is my worst nightmare. So it sounds like I don't need new shocks for Baja? :) Are there any other things I can do to optimize stability?

8. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:53 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
  9. Jun 27, 2023 at 8:55 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Oh no, just that you don't need shocks at all for anything mentioned with the exception of the washboard roads and whatnot in Baja.

That's where I suggested figuring out budget, so we can suggest something for Baja and similar.

But if you keep it stock, I'd keep it slow. Personally, I'd prefer a controlled ride so I'd opt for custom valved shocks.

10. Jun 27, 2023 at 9:08 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Budget would be <$3K. right now the ride is pretty bumpy off-road, so was thinking Bilsteins would be a good middle-ground. But would be open to alternatives. Or just rough it.

11. Jun 27, 2023 at 9:15 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Are you dropping your air pressure?

Should dramatically increase comfort, not to mention traction.

That budget could net you some nice suspension componenets though, unless you're paying for install which I'd highly recommend against doing so.

12. Jun 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Yes, I am. But still wondering how I can improve ride.

I don't have the ability to do work on my car like that - so I don't know how else I'd do the install.

13. Jun 27, 2023 at 9:29 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Just have a buddy or family member lend a hand.

Hell, I replaced a ton of stuff on my 4Runner the same month I was diagnosed with sciatica and could barely walk. It ain't hard doing suspension work!

14. Jun 27, 2023 at 11:13 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    4Runner with some good off road tires is "generally" more than enough for off roading on any type of trail, like fire or service roads.

No problems with just upgrading my tires to Duratracs with all the off roading i have done the passed few years in the NE.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  15. Jun 27, 2023 at 12:37 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Check out dobinson before you buy anything. Awesome products, great pricing, proven quality.

Burnt Taco likes this.
  16. Aug 14, 2023 at 9:58 AM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    i love my set up and have used it on med trails without issue.

17. Aug 14, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    Fortuner

Fortuner New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS
    Do you have a plans to add a roof rack/winch/steel skids & sliders/Roof top tent/built-in drawer system, etc, etc?

If you see yourself adding upgrades such as those in the future, take into consideration how the suspension would do under the added weight and buy accordingly.

I had a small lift with the Eibach Sport Truck shocks, which are a Bilsten 5100 equivalent...I wasn't entirely impressed with their off road performance, but on road they had decent manners. I've since moved on to a Dobinson's IMS setup, and for my needs (daily driver/weekend warrior) it's a perfect balance.

Products Discussed in

To Top