1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD- Limited Slip Differential?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rmiked, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Aug 12, 2023 at 2:50 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    On page 304 of owners manual there is a discussion of Auto LSD pertaining to 2 WD models. To turn it off you press the “Trac-Off” button. On page 323 there is a discussion of the “limited slip differential” (if equipped) and it says it transfers power to rear wheels of front are spinning and vice-versa, to improve traction. This must be a function of the AWD models and the limited slip magic is happening in the center differential? I have an ORP 4 WD. My understanding is TRAC is ON by default in 2 WD and 4WD Hi and OFF in 4 Lo. The OFF in 4 Lo makes sense because you can always use ATRAC or MTS if you need traction control. My understanding is there is NO Auto LSD on 4WD models. I’m thinking the only time you would turn TRAC off in 2WD is when the rear wheels spin to avoid the throttle retard function of TRAC if you wanted to rock the stuck vehicle? But if you have 4WD, just engage 4Hi ? You could also turn TRAC off in 4WD Hi for the same reason, to rock the vehicle to help get unstuck because the throttle will be retarded if TRAC is ON. But then again, you could just go to 4Lo and use MTS or rear locker and/or ATRAC? I’m having trouble understanding when or why would anyone EVER turn TRAC Off in an ORP with part time 4WD? Why does the TRAC off button even exist? When would you just turn TRAC off and when would you depress the button for 3 seconds to disable both TRAC and VSC?

2. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:02 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    You don’t want throttle cut in certain situations like mud or sand and low is too low to provide enough wheel speed to clear the tires. 4wd will sometimes not engage if you aren’t moving so it’s an extra option to get you out. ALSD got me unstuck from a snow drift where 4wd wouldn’t engage.

3. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    So if you aren’t moving and thus, 4WD won’t engage you turn off TRAC and the extra spinning may allow you to escape?

4. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    It’s possible. The whole modes and everything was different in my 2nd gen Tacoma. I had an AUTO LSD light despite having a TRD Offroad. It’s basically ATRAC for 2wd but they call it a bunch of different names to make you think you’re getting more.

5. Aug 12, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I had a 2016 TRDOR Tacoma with Auto LSD and you could turn it off. I’m wondering if the 4R ORP is the same but just called something else. Kind of confusing.

Products Discussed in

To Top