1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another "What Should I Do" Post

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Stones, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Apr 10, 2024 at 6:20 AM
    Stones

Stones [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Grand Rapids MI
    Vehicle:
    2024 Black ORP
    Hi Everyone,
    I've read this forum and others voraciously for the last week and I'm more confused than when I started.
    I'm picking up an ORP (Black!) tomorrow morning. Based on my learning thus far I pleaded with the salesman to not let their "detail shop" touch the finish or interior of my truck. There were too many stories ranging from shoddy work to outright damage.
    Now I'll have an unmolested factory finish and no idea what to do with it. The wax vs. ceramic vs. protective film (which is probably too expensive anyway) debate makes my head spin. I intend to off road this puppy extensively but rather sanely, in search of trout streams with little fishing pressure. Avoiding brush scratches will be nearly impossible for me. But I won't bash the crap out of it.
    Initially my tentative plan was to hand wash and clay it good, which looks like I could do more or less right, then treat with whatever from there. The idea was to avoid polishing so the clear coat wouldn't be thinned. Then add whatever protectant I wind up using. But now I read that at least light polishing/"paint correction" should be done. Probably professionally because I've never done this and experimenting with whirling abrasives on a new finish seems unwise.
    I'm aware that some trail damage is unavoidable but I want to keep it as nice looking as possible. I'd be willing to spend $1,000. Less if possible, a bit more if it will get me a significant improvement.
    Vehicle will be exposed to Michigan salt and I plan on keeping it until "death do us part".

Thanks in advance,
    Dennis

2. Apr 10, 2024 at 8:51 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    Watch some videos, buy the things you need and go to town. I was in the same boat as you (sort of) and did the work myself. It ain't brain surgery. Use some common sense and a bit of patience and you will be proud as a peacock when you are finished. Plan for at least a full day of work. All of the stuff I had to buy was about $350. Random orbital polisher, 4 different grit pads, polish cream, ceramic spray, pad conditioners and cleaners, clay bars, micro fiber towels, etc. Here's one of the videos I watched. This one convinced me that I could do it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUC6zurChM

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  3. Apr 10, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Welcome Dennis.

I have done my own paint correction and the process was over 15+ hours, from wash to finish.

A paint sealant or wax will give the paint a nice deep shine and help keep the paint looking good. This will need to be re applied every few months.

Ceramic coating will make your paint look amazing and makes washing easier. There is a misconception that ceramic coating offers some kind of paint damage protection and doesn’t need maintenance. It will protect against light scratches but not rock chips or deep trail scratches. It does require upkeep every few months.

PPF is a layer of film that is applied over your paint. It will give you the most protection from rock chips and scratches but also has its limits. Good PPF films also have hydrophobic properties built in, so they act similar to ceramic coatings. The down side is that it is expensive, will need to replaced when damaged, and has a lifespan of 5-10 years.

4. Apr 10, 2024 at 10:10 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    I should also point out that black is not a color. It's a hobby. You'll be busy keeping it nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top