1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another broken Tacoma...

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by Trail Runnah, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Jun 29, 2024 at 7:27 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Truck King just dropped this video. They were testing a TRD off-road Tacoma manual back in March, and had a mechanical failure. The clutch failed, and they had to have it towed.

https://youtu.be/VazPL4jTNCQ?si=cfb0Y-mP87T0k8-n

Personally, I'm going to give the driver the benefit of the doubt. I made a lot of mistakes while learning to drive manual, including accidentally grabbing first instead of fourth while racing my LS1 F body, and I did not damage anything

2. Jun 29, 2024 at 7:59 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....
    I watched this entire video. The mechanical failure was totally on the driver. He tried to jam that into 1st from 5th. The driver said it was 3rd, but the grinding proves otherwise, and you can see in the video that he moves the shifter all the way over. He probably meant to put into third, but he messed up.

This isn't on Toyota.

Ripper238 likes this.
  3. Jun 29, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I don't know, you could be right. I would definitely say intentionally shifting like that is not great, though. I would still think that the vehicle would be able to handle it mechanically. Then again, I don't recall exactly how fast they were going without watching the video again, and I'm not sure if it was clear that he actually shifted into first, I'm not familiar with the transmission. It did clearly see that he didn't redline it at least.

This could be part of the reason why so few manufacturers offer manuals anymore. Besides the cost of the different assembly line process, they may have to deal with increased warranty claims due to user error.

One thing I found very interesting was that the Toyota engineer said that the manual could not handle the full torque load of 318 lbs, so they reduced it to 310 lbs. Really, 8 lbs is going to make that much difference? I think if that's the threshold, it's not strong enough in the first place.

So few of these are going to have manuals anyway, I wouldn't worry about it or expect to see too many of these failures. The tfl failure. On the other hand, that would concern me, because that could affect every truck. The Toyota engineer said that they were in a very unique situation, however, I don't believe slipping on ice. Is that unique.

4. Jun 29, 2024 at 12:39 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    It's been impressing me lately that a lot of youtube videos feature content where people just don't know what they're doing and it's flat out embarrassing.

I was watching this video of a dude superchargers his 4runner. He gets the super charger on and takes it to the tuner and the engine blows up. So he makes a video dismantling the engine. Finds a broken rod and one of his pistons has a hole in it. His commentary, "this is so weird. I have absolutely no idea what could have caused this. It makes no sense."

It fucking predetonated you idiot and you paid a guy who clearly didn't know what he was doing to make it happen. Anyway....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024
    2Toys, icebear and Antiq8ted_Ex0 like this.
  5. Jun 29, 2024 at 12:45 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

It's a YouTube rule; and it was learned from the News Outlets: Drama makes money. The more offensive/idiotic the YouTube video is (usually), the more clicks it gets. Clicks equal ad revenue. Don't believe me? Go look up the You Tuber Whislin' Diesel. He buys cars with the sole purpose to destroy them.

6. Jun 29, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Dude you're right. You're so right. It's just really frustrating when here I am in the middle of a project and I need information on how to do something and every video I click on is mostly just the person telling their story instead of how to do a thing. And you can't find a single video on how to remove the entire dash it's just hoe to remove this one little section because I broke something.

I really fucked up. I shoukd have made a video on how to remove everything when I started my current project.

icebear likes this.
  7. Jun 29, 2024 at 6:10 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    Meh, nothing for 4Runner owners to be concerned about. A manual hasn't been offered in 4Runners for more than two decades, more than half of the 4Runner's total existence as a Toyota model.

To Top