1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another ATRAC vs Rear Locker video

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Slopemaster, Jun 3, 2024.

1. Jun 3, 2024 at 7:03 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster [OP] Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  2. Jun 5, 2024 at 11:31 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    Yokohama AT's, Bilstein 5100's, Talon's Garage full skids.
    The elevator music put me to sleep three minutes into the video.

I haven't had a chance to use ATRAC enough to form an opinion, all I can say is the one time I tried using ATRAC it didn't work for the given situation. Rear locker alone worked perfectly and without hesitation. Either will likely have their strengths for specific situations. Having both options is the best of both worlds.

Trail Runnah and Slopemaster[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 5, 2024 at 11:42 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    I thought there would be more usable information. The history section was informative. I don't think the rest of it added anything (or even rose to the level) of the other videos out there. It was also too slow and too repetitive.

Slopemaster[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 5, 2024 at 1:43 PM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Subjective opinions..........

Could agree if he'd simply added "in given situations". My experience, ATRAC has its place more often than locker........but locker does have its place which ATRAC can't duplicate.

Regardless, you do you, be safe, have fun.

Slopemaster[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 5, 2024 at 2:47 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I agree, it seemed very biased, borderline propaganda. Sure it’s a great system, but as others stated, having an actual locker has advantages too.

6. Jun 5, 2024 at 3:05 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Guy sounds like an airline pilot in a jazz bar smh.

7. Jun 10, 2024 at 8:52 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I watched this one a while back. I couldn’t seem to look away. Half an hour of the same thing being repeated in slightly different ways. Weird combination of “facts” and “myths” that weren’t quite right. Also a lot of confused comparisons of things that aren’t comparable. And pitting a-trac against lockers isn’t really helpful, because they don’t actually do the same thing.

I mean, you can say one is better than the other as a way to rib each other in a joking manner. But it’s weird to devote half an hour to simply saying a-trac is better, using slightly different phrases. Then again, I watched the video, all of it. That might be weirder lol

8. Jun 10, 2024 at 9:17 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    It's sort of like a junior high kid who was assigned a three page essay, but he could only think of one paragraph, so he just used 20 different versions of it to fill the space.

9. Jun 10, 2024 at 9:38 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s

Haha yeah, that pretty much nailed it.

10. Jun 10, 2024 at 10:14 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    :oops:
    I agree, I probably shouldn’t have posted it. The more I thought about it, I realized that it was more of a propaganda film. I guess I was enamored with the ATRAC rave. :oops:

11. Jun 11, 2024 at 8:04 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    2.5" Bilstein lift, 1" body lift, 34" tires on 17x9 Method Racing 312 wheels, CBI front bumper with Warn EVO10s winch, full RCI under armor and rock sliders, ARB front and rear air lockers, 8.2" rear axle house swap, etc....
    I didn't watch the video but have watched many others like it. ATRAC is actually a pretty smart use of components that are already on the vehicle, such as the ABS system, which ATRAC relies on. Think of it like traction control for all 4 wheels. To a limited degree, it can simulate having a locker for each wheel.

If basic trails with a few off camber parts is all that your doing, ATRAC can handle those without to much fuss. It cannot handle the more extreme terrain, especially where 100% lockup of the differential(s) is more effective. As others have already said, both options have there place. Based on my personal experience using both systems, hands down I would get more use out of a locker everyday. But I tend to go toward the more extreme stuff.

Case in point, my 4th gen didn't come stock with a front or rear locker and only had ATRAC that's on all full time. There are many trails I have been on where ATRAC is not enough to overcome the obstacle, especially when traversing up a steep hill full of loose shale type rock. Momentum was the only way. Now I have a front and rear air locker and its a game changer, making the previous obstacles much safer and easier to traverse. In fact, I can practically crawl up these obstacles.

12. Jun 11, 2024 at 8:11 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Twin locked > ATRAC

ATRAC is a fantastic system and I use it all the time. But, a front locker is better for slow wheeling where maintaining traction is critical. ATRAC essentially relies on wheel spin.

You can see where a front locker would have been useful here. Minimizing wheel slip would have been ideal.
    ATRAC still did the job, but there was more wheel slip than I would have liked. Could have gotten me in trouble.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPv9OujTlA

R4Adventure likes this.
  13. Jun 11, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    2.5" Bilstein lift, 1" body lift, 34" tires on 17x9 Method Racing 312 wheels, CBI front bumper with Warn EVO10s winch, full RCI under armor and rock sliders, ARB front and rear air lockers, 8.2" rear axle house swap, etc....
    I watched parts of the video and have to disagree with the GX460 Off-Road channel. If ATRAC was superior to a locker, than why is a rear locker usually also equipped on many of the Toyota/Lexus platforms that are built with Off-roading in mind?

Again, I think ATRAC is an attractive feature, but it won't fully replace a mechanical looker.

Try doing the same in a loose rock or muddy terrain and see how far ATRAC will get you.

14. Jun 11, 2024 at 8:25 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    To be fair there are still situations where I would prefer ATRAC over lockers.

Here, I used ATRAC because it was a very loose surface with a very tight turn at the top. Instead of getting to the top and trying to turn the rear locker off (and waiting for it to disengage) I just used ATRAC. This meant less time fiddling with switches, allowing me to focus on the line.

ATRAC did it's job perfectly well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl1-FZUhSA0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDUp6VBrhEk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    R4Adventure likes this.
  15. Jun 11, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    To be clear, I am not against ATRAC. There are many cases where it's a very nice feature. I in fact prefer to have it as an option.

ATRAC is also nice to have when you have the factory e-lockers, which are not always easy to engage when the vehicle is not level. This was one of many reasons why I elected to go with air lockers as I can engage them with or without stopping (wheels still need to be spinning at same speeds) and regardless of the mess I get myself into.

That being said, I agree with you, 1SilverRunner, in that turning with lockers engaged can be challenging, especially front lockers and that is one area where ATRAC is more effective.

1SilverRunner likes this.
  16. Jun 11, 2024 at 9:18 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    What trails are you on in the videos? What area?

17. Jun 11, 2024 at 9:26 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Palo Duro Canyon, Texas. Merus Adventure Park.
    The trail was called Starlight. A black trail they normally don't recommend for IFS vehicles.

R4Adventure[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 12, 2024 at 12:08 PM
    Eubeenhadd

Eubeenhadd Bit of a derp

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2005 T4R 4.7 AWD
    OME 885/895, 265/70R17 Encounter AT
    ATRAC is dope. It's good medicine in situations where risk of body damage is low due to a slip up, and you can drive with a reactive system successfully. If you need a proactive system because you can't afford a loss of momentum or drive traction, that's where it shows it's a bit short of the mark, but most people don't actually end up doing that kind of wheeling and those that have done it know where that line is. I like ATRAC, see little sense in disabling it, and even when I'm twin locked I'll try to retain it, because I've yet to see anyone convincingly argue it held them back. Just an extra tool on hand, and one that basically every Toyota 4x4 gets at this point which is nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top