1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Parts Quality

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by icebear, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:35 PM
    icebear

icebear [OP] Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5

TL;DR: Australian complains about shitty aftermarket parts killing the combustion engine and the hobby.

So I'm a fan of DankPods/Garbage Time/etc. (probably best known for his iPod and drum content) and this video of his popped up and got me thinking.

I've been aware of the enshittification of various spots on the web, electronics, etc. but it's worrying seeing it come for what used to be a safe bet.

I heard shops can fight back by passing along the warranty labor costs to the part manufacturer but it'll flat out suck for DIYers.

I thought having a spot for folks to bellyache, share anecdotes (have you been burned before?), etc. would be nice here.

--------

Normally I'd skip YouTube comments but they're a nice spot touching on a lot of struggles from pre-2000's AV equipment repair, Jeep 4.0 parts, appliance, bicycle parts, original manufacturer-branded parts being shit too, etc.

All I got personally is that so far any Hyundai/Kia/Magna Dynamax AWD coupler I've seen bought online has not worked, leaving the dealer parts counter option at twice the price. Granted, it's a complicated, orientation-sensitive part but the double-whammy of being designed to fail by being filled for "life" (no drain, no immediately available fluid spec) and the programming using it constantly ("proactively") isn't great.

I saw someone with a Hyundai Kona drill his own drain port and post it online but I have no idea what's become of that. Since these operate hydraulically (via electric pump on the side) I wonder if it's required to be absolutely, completely full to operate and isn't feasible to do while it's installed.

I have a friend who's seen 2/3 CPU coolers purchased around the same time fail in friend's PCs. (as the third one, is he next? stay tuned)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    AuSeeker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top