1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket backup cam not working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Thacrow, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Jun 26, 2024 at 1:47 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Trying to use Kenwood CMOS-740HD on a Kenwood Excelon Reference DMX1057XR deck. The deck has some power outputs denoted for the camera. Camera doesn't turn on // I get a black screen for the camera.

At the moment I'm taking my dash apart to run power and ground from elsewhere to see if this will work but just checking to see if anyone has any ideas.

I did see that this cam is HDR and HDR needS to be turned on in the head unit which I have done.

20240626_134325.jpg

2. Jun 26, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Yup. Cameras don't like power fron the head unit. Figured it out.

These cameras have a ballast or something that drops voltage to 8v which the cameras need. But the HU already has voltage dropped to 8v. So this probably dropped it further causing them not to work. So either don't use the power coming from the HU or remove the ballasts from the wiring harness to fix.

20240626_142008.jpg
    20240626_141907.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    ChessGuy likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2024 at 6:31 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I have actually been struggling with the front camera which is an aftermarket one. I think the relay is the issue or the ground wire. The relay is rated for 12V/30A and it seems to get very hot after 2 or 3 mins of the camera being on. Then I lose the picture of the camera and it doesn't come back. I am trying to troubleshoot this issue with no luck so far.

20240608_080941.jpg

4. Jun 26, 2024 at 6:40 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    What's the wiring diagram look like?

5. Jun 26, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Like this.....I have checked every piece...and the thing that seems a bit off is the relay and the ground. But I keep losing the image after 4 mins.

IMG-20240616-WA0010.jpg

6. Jun 26, 2024 at 9:08 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    How is the ground off? How are you doing ground?

7. Jun 27, 2024 at 12:24 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Been thinking about this. You should reach out to the manufacturer and ask them.

Nothing should be getting hot. Heat when there should be heat means there's too much resistance. Wires are too small. I'm curious what this relay looks like as well. Got any more close up pics of this stuff?

Products Discussed in

To Top