1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'95 4Runner Power and Temp Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by spookyukie, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Jun 10, 2023 at 11:50 AM
    spookyukie

spookyukie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner SR5 3VZE
    Hi all,

Recently picked up a '95 4Runner with the 3VZE in it, 330k miles on the clock. I've got multiple issues I'm trying to chase and can't seem to figure it out with what I've done. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I've been learning as I go with this so there's a lot I might be missing.

The two main problems I have is that 1) it will not go past a certain rpm depending on what gear it's in (5 speed manual), i.e. 3500 in 3rd gear. Doesn't stutter getting there but won't go past it and feels wimpy. It also idles at about 1000-1200 after getting to temp, starts up at normal 750-800 idle though.

And 2)My coolant temp gauge is also sitting a decent way below the center and the engine gets really poor gas mileage which leads me to believe that it's stuck in an open loop with a bad temp sensor. The car failed emissions which I think is caused by the inability to warm up/rich condition.

I've done new spark plugs, O2 sensor, new fuel filter, oil and filter change, and a new thermostat on it with no luck on either issue. No CEL (checked working), and no stored codes when checked with jumping the two pins on the OBD1 connector.

I'm thinking at this point it's likely the coolant temp sensor in regards to the failed emissions and bad warm up, and maybe a bad or improperly adjusted TPS, but I'm unsure.
    I don't suspect a vacuum leak as it has all new lines in it from the previous owner but I could be wrong.

Happy to try to to provide more info, TYIA

2. Jun 10, 2023 at 12:23 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Guess get this out of the way. Why the hell did you even buy this? Hope it was next to free.

Could be a world of stuff. Bad clutch, air leak, fluid etc?

Seeing as how the PO changed all the lines I'm betting he was chasing the same issue.

3. Jun 10, 2023 at 1:36 PM
    spookyukie

spookyukie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner SR5 3VZE

It's been checked for vacuum leaks by both me and the PO, all good on that front, had a new clutch and trans gaskets installed last year, and buried in those service records I found it had a MAF sensor problem and retarded ignition timing but was fixed.
    Since then the PO took off the intake and reinstalled it when he tried to "cold air" it and the MAF sensor may have gotten borked again in that process, so I'm gonna get that checked since I don't have the means to go about fixing that or the timing.
    Gonna have them triple check vac lines to be ultra sure, and if the MAF is the problem then my thermostat and sensor might be non issues and I'm just overanalyzing it.

As to why I bought the thing, it's fun as much as it is frustrating, and I like old yotas lol

Products Discussed in

To Top