1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen Lift, Wheels & Tires

Discussion in '5th Gen Builds (2010-2024)' started by MCScottFree, Sep 27, 2024.

1. Sep 27, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    MCScottFree

MCScottFree [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail, 2024 Tundra TRD Pro, 1988 Land Cruiser FJ62
    4Runner has Dobinsons 2.5 inch front lift and 2 inch rear lift, Method 701 Wheels, BFG KO3s in 285/70r17
    This forum was helpful to me as I was researching my suspension project for my 2016 4Runner Trail, so I thought I'd share here in case it helps anyone else. I also have a couple of questions.

This is no longer a daily driver. I kept it when I bought a new truck. I plan to use the 4Runner for camping, mountain biking excursions, etc. So, lots of highway/road driving with some off-roading near the destination. I may end up doing more off-road driving than I'm currently thinking (I used to be really into years ago). I don't currently plan to add a lot of weight. Making the vehicle look better was part of the reason for the mods.

I went with the Dobinsons 2.5" front lift and 2.0" rear lift. The parts are:

Dobinson Nitro Gas suspension lift

- DOBINSONS STRUT TOP PLATE - SC59-001(2)

- DOBINSONS COIL SPRINGS PAIR - C59-302 (front)

- DOBINSONS GAS STRUT - GS59-700 (front)

- DOBINSONS COIL SPRINGS PAIR - C59-505 (rear)

- DOBINSONS GAS SHOCK ABSORBER - GS59-701 (rear)

Wheels - Method 701 17x8.5 with 0 Offset

Tires - Currently BFG A/T KO3s in 285/70r17

I'm really happy with how the vehicle drives (no more body roll and break diving). With about 500 miles driven post lift, it has settled a little, as expected. After the lift the driver side front was about a quarter inch higher than the passenger side. Not sure way - maybe @Crikeymike has a thought on that? I'm now at 22 3/4" in the front and 23 3/4" in the rear (empty). The driver side front is still a little higher than the passenger side. The suspension parts were installed by a reputable off-road shops that specializes in Toyotas.

I currently have absolutely no rubbing and didn't have to trim anything or remove the mudflaps. Can't make it rub even if I try. I can exchange the tires at Discount Tires if I want to move up to a 285/75. It looks to me that if I remove the front mudflap and trim the lower part of the front fender a small amount, they should fit. I may even get away without a BMC.

Considerations - Moving up an inch in tire diameter would have Pros and Cons:

Cons - Creates a little work (trimming and maybe BMC). Effects power some with larger diameter and heavier tire. The 4Runner isn't as bad as my 1988 Land Cruiser, but it's still not exactly a powerful vehicle. I would not be willing to re-gear this vehicle.

Pros - The truck is basically a toy now and it would look cooler.

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter? Thank you.

IMG_8107.HEIC.jpg

Crikeymike, Bob and DangitDad like this.
  2. Sep 27, 2024 at 8:40 AM
    BLKNBLU

BLKNBLU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Nauti Blue
    What is your primary objective?
    Looks? Or road tripping?

3. Sep 27, 2024 at 3:19 PM
    MCScottFree

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner has Dobinsons 2.5 inch front lift and 2 inch rear lift, Method 701 Wheels, BFG KO3s in 285/70r17
    I know this won't fully answer your question, but probably 50/50. How much negative impact do you think there would be going from 32.8" to 33.8" diameter?

4. Sep 27, 2024 at 3:35 PM
    unik5

unik5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Offroad
    Spacer lift and 285’s ;)
    Well, 2 trains of thought I guess.

If it's a toy, I'd say throw the bigger tires on and cut/ chop as necessary. You won't be driving all the time so fuel economy won't matter as much (but your range will). Maybe supercharge it instead of gears ;)

On the flip side, if it's primarily on-road and light trails, 285/70's would be just fine (truck looks great btw). Saves a little MPG's over 75's and as you said, no cutting. No going back after that, although it's not really that big of a deal. You can always upgrade down the road if you decide to get heavier into offroading again.

5. Sep 27, 2024 at 4:45 PM
    BLKNBLU

BLKNBLU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Nauti Blue
    Firstly, let me say that I have no firsthand experience with built 5th gens. My older gens took direct hits on efficiency as I built them up. I would take the opposite approach from unik5 and encourage you to sit tight where you. I agree with unik5 that it looks great as is.

My first inclination would be staying close to stock as that would road trip best. Clearly that ship has already sailed and that wouldn't get you the looks you desire either. With your current set-up you should be able to wheel quite well given a locker and atrac. I would consider lightweight armor (think aluminum or the ARB skids that are thicker than stock but still thin) I agree on keeping the weight down so you would want to choose carefully.

unik5 likes this.
  6. Oct 6, 2024 at 5:01 AM
    MCScottFree

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Guys. I decided to stay with the 285/70s for now. I still think the lift looks slightly high relative to the tire size, but here's what I'm factoring in now:

- I am adding a refrigerator and power supply. That, plus the bike rack, bikes, other gear, food, water will probably start to push 200 pounds.
    - The current setup gives me options. I can add weight if I want to (skid plate, rock sliders, roof rack). The weight would reduce the effective lift and I would not need new springs to accommodate it.
    - The springs may settle a little more.
    - This tire size really does work well for these 4Runners. Big enough to function well and look good - small enough to not reduce power too much.

I'm headed out on a 2,000 mile trip tomorrow.

7. Oct 6, 2024 at 8:02 AM
    Pepper

Pepper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    East Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Barcelona Red
    You were able to keep the stock Uca's? How much caster were you able to get on your alignment?

8. Oct 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM
    MCScottFree

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes. I was able to keep the stock UCAs. Seems to drive fine. Not sure about the caster. I'll look at the report from the shop and see if they noted on there.

Pepper likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top