1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$500 diagnostic fee?!? For the FJ in LA!

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Henry J, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:05 PM
    Henry J

Henry J [OP] Crap…crap crap crap crap…crap

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Brick Red FJ & 2011 Silver T4R Trail
    Am I crazy or is that crazy?

Daughter had the gas gauge get stuck and doesn’t move under 1/4 of a tank anymore (it does move up though) and she’s getting a rough start.

I’m also over 500 miles away so have to rely on Toyota of Glendale. But does that sound right to anyone in SoCal?

2. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM
    RunningBear

RunningBear New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP, Lunar Rock, KDSS
    I bought my 4R from them in Jan. The purchase process went fine but mainly because I know the business and patiently (and professionally) spent a lot of time working a deal out. My first and only service visit was to have a cat shield installed. They didn't quote their charge up front, but then surprised me asking for $1350. Outright THEFT as I saw it (I know plenty about cars and if I had a lift I could have installed it myself in under two hours. Called manufacturer of cat shield and they said the same, that is theft, it is normally a one hour job, anything more than 2 hours is theft. (I told them to shove it, they said OK we'll remove the cat shield, I said OK). Found a local non-dealer shop to put it back, they charged me $50, I gave them $100.

Hearing this from you is really disturbing, it just doubles my conclusion that this dealer preys on service customers to a level of thievery. I will never go back there for any service other than warranty, and to be honest, I will probably never go back there for anything, even the free service stuff. If you know let me know the name of the service advisor, maybe the same crook?

There is an independent shop in Glendale (not the one that put the cat shield back on), I only went there once and the owner said no charge after two of his guys spent 20-25 minutes fixing something. I insisted and owner agreed I could give some generous tips to the workers. I have sent other people there, and they get top yelp ratings. So if your daughter needs an honest and good independent shop, she should check these guys out: https://www.yelp.com/biz/j-and-e-complete-auto-service-glendale

Henry J[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM
    Henry J

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, I’m going to save this. I should be down in a month or so and go introduce myself to him too.

She was curious if it was the dealership or just a Girl Tax they were throwing at her. Your example proves it’s a dealership issue.

4. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM
    RunningBear

RunningBear New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP, Lunar Rock, KDSS
    Henry J[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    That’s crazy!!! Who charges $500 for just a simple diagnostic. I guess they are busy enough that new business and repeat clientele doesn’t matter to them.

Henry J[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 21, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    Henry J

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    I was reading that too! I was thinking she should fill up at the 1/2 tank mark but she’s also 20 and most likely doesn’t pay attention…sadly

Products Discussed in

To Top