1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd and center diff light flashing, no 4lo either

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by shixonjr, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Nov 29, 2023 at 8:32 AM
    shixonjr

shixonjr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pacific Blue with cladding
    Hey everyone,

First post here. I was searching for a thread but couldn't find one with my specific issue so I figured I'd post my own.

I recently got a 2003 4runnner with the 4.0. When switching to 4hi, the 4wd light and center diff lock lights flash. If I switch to 4lo the light flashes and beeps.

I've ready that it could be the front actuator but I've also read about people replacing/fixing the actuator in the rear.

I was hoping to maybe get an idea of things I can troubleshoot before shotgunning parts at it.

Any tips/help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Nov 29, 2023 at 10:37 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 263K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    There’s only one actuator I’m aware of and it’s likely stuck due to disuse. This is a known issue. I recommend searching “4th Gen stuck actuator” here, at t4r.org, on Google, and on YouTube. People’s remedies have included everything from disassembly (no thanks) to tapping with a hammer to just repeatedly trying to engage the 4WD every time they drive and many more things I’m sure. Be sure you’re following the procedure for engaging 4WD, which is in the manual but should also be on the back of the driver’s sunvisor.

When you get it working, drive 10 miles a month in 4WD at a minimum (per the manual) and work it through all modes as well, including engaging the locker in both 4HI and 4LO. I usually drive the 10 miles in 4HI then take the next opportunity in a parking lot or wherever to do the locker (be sure not to turn on dry pavement with it engaged), then disengage the locker, shift to 4LO (stopped and in neutral), drive a few seconds, engage the locker again, drive a bit more, stop, neutral, then back to 2WD and you’re done.

Hope you get it squared away b/c replacing the actuator is $$$$.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  3. Nov 29, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Possibly referring to the front axle disconnect as an actuator but I'm guessing.

Bluesky 07[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 29, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    Bluesky 07

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    @shixonjr - Here’s an example of someone who claims to have a fix. YMMV and try at your own risk of course.

xtremewlr likes this.
  5. Nov 30, 2023 at 12:06 PM
    shixonjr

shixonjr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  6. Nov 30, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    Bluesky 07

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well, "easy enough" isn't something I've ever seen in an inoperative actuator thread, but hey, I'm open-minded and hope it's exactly that!

What are you referring to as the rear actuator? As I understand it, the one on the diff is the only thing aside from the 4WD module behind the glove box (and obviously the dash knob) that affects 4WD engagement/disengagement.

Hmmm...@xtremewlr, will the lights come on and/or flash if the dash knob is unplugged in the back?

7. Nov 30, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    shixonjr

shixonjr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I did a little more research and that front actuator is part of switching to 4wd, etc. Tends to get gunked up and go bad. It's only connected with 4 bolts. I'll have to drain the front diff and refill it but it doesn't seem that hard.

8. Nov 30, 2023 at 12:27 PM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Were you moving when you switched to 4 high? Sometimes it won't engage if you aren't moving. Only when switching from 4 high --> 4 low do you need to be stopped.

9. Nov 30, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    shixonjr

shixonjr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I tried while moving, in neutral, in park, in neutral moving a little. Doesn't switch. I did read that when the weather heats up it switches easier, but it's been in the 30s here all week so that's not happening lol.

10. Nov 30, 2023 at 2:21 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    I honestly don't recall. I haven't had a shift knob on the dash in mine for about 2 years or so now.

Bluesky 07[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top