1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4runners, brakes in salt/rust zones, 5th gen specifically, above average fail/replace rate?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by silvercow, Aug 13, 2024.

1. Aug 13, 2024 at 11:00 AM
    silvercow

silvercow [OP] New Member

Member:
    Anything make the Toyota design more prone to rust, seizing up than other average cars? Are people rebuilding these more often than in other cars?

2. Aug 13, 2024 at 3:26 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Not sure how many other vehicles have 4 piston calipers in front, but having 8 total pistons, versus 2 for most cars, would probably increase chance for a caliper to seize. That may be part or all of the reason for any reputation they have on seizing.

I’ve got about 73k miles on mine through water, mud, sand, and salty winter roads. They get cleaned/rinsed out pretty frequently more than any other of my previous cars. Changed pads once. One of the 8 pistons seemed to have been a little harder to retract than the other ones, but it continues to work fine 25k miles after the brake job. Corrosion has not excessive so far, with thorough water rinsing in spring to get salt off, and after wheeling trips.

silvercow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top