1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner buying help

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Elacher10, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Feb 13, 2024 at 12:55 AM
    Elacher10

Elacher10 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello. I am currently looking into buying a 4Runner for our family. Wanting to know if I should buy new or look for an older used one. I’ve been eyeing a 2018 TRD Off-Road Premium. It’s got 29k miles on it and currently priced at $36k. Should I spend a little more and get a 2023 or 2024? We’re currently driving a 2019 Crosstrek. New to Toyota so listening to all recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  2. Feb 13, 2024 at 3:25 AM
    BS67

BS67 New Member

Member:
    CC Ne
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Welcome! If the 2018 has all the options you want and you feel the price is good then pull the trigger. Have to consider its out of warranty being a 2018. New is gonna be much more but you'll have warranty! Comes down to what you're happy with! Good luck with your decision!

3. Feb 13, 2024 at 4:11 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    Welcome. I am not sure what current pricing is for a new one, but I bought it at 47-48K before TTL I think. So are you OK with a 12K difference for a 6 year old vehicle, with 29K miles on it. I usually do not buy used because toyotas generally cost so much even used. I'd also compare features you will miss in the process along with being an older vehicle. I can think of several:
    1. apple car play
    2. heated steering wheel
    3. LED lights?
    4. LED fog lights?
    5. not sure about push button start
    6. I am sure I am missing some but you can find out...

is 12K worth not having those features + having 29K miles on the vehicle? Only you can decide that.

icebear likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2024 at 4:48 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Ineos Grenadier
    The best deals around the country can get you a new ORP for $10k more, before ttl.

This is assuming averagely equipped ORP units. Cost of options can add up. In addition to what’s listed above, new ORP also has standard safety features like blind spot monitor, real traffic alert, adaptive cruise and lane departure warning. None of those were available on 2018

We also have owned Subarus adjacent to our current 4r. The part time 4wd 4r is much more difficult to operate than awd Subarus. The need to shift in/out of 4hi essentially makes it a manual 4wd system. Would never consider the 4r ORP to be a good primary family mover for this reason alone. 4r also crash tests poorly, esp for the passenger side

have you thought of a limited model, since it has a full time 4wd, more like a Subaru in daily operations

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  5. Feb 13, 2024 at 7:32 AM
    bronzestar1

bronzestar1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited magnetic gray with redwood interior
    275/55-20s, Airaid CAI, Summit muffler, oil catch can
    I would try and buy a new one. If you don't need all the bells and whistles that an ORP has (crawl control, multi-terrain system, etc), you can save a bunch of money with a different trim level. My daughter traded in her '22 Tacoma SR5 on a '23 4R TRD ORP, and I traded in a '22 Ford Explorer ST on a '23 4R Limited. I didn't need all the fancy off-road stuff that her TRD ORP had, and the full-time 4wd on the Limited suits me just fine. Definitely shop around, there are deals to be had on a "new" '23, since the '24s are already on the lots. As has already been mentioned, th newer models have better lighting, more safety features, different colors, etc.

6. Feb 13, 2024 at 7:36 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

Without getting into your financial situation (much), I will say: Buy what your budget will allow. The market for used and new cars is getting worse and worse. Buy a dependable vehicle that you can easily afford, even if/when you hit hard financial times.

Don't be one of those guys who over buys and over-finances a vehicle only to have it repo'd in 6 - 8 months.

icebear likes this.
  7. Feb 13, 2024 at 9:06 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Welcome. You're better off buying a new SR5 vs 2018 for not much more. You get the full warranty and no surprises down the road. Many dealers are selling at invoice currently.

8. Feb 13, 2024 at 7:32 PM
    ADV4RNR

ADV4RNR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off-Road Premium
    typical lift, tires, skid plates and rock sliders
    I purposely bought a 2019 just a couple of months ago. I did NOT want push button start and all of the extra electronic nannies that started in 2020.

That seems like a pretty decent price considering the low mileage.

Check and see if it Toyota certified pre-owned. That gets you an extended factory warranty.

Also check insurance rates on new versus the 2018. I'll bet the older one is cheaper to insure.

Follow the advice of the poster who said "buy what fits YOUR budget".

9. Feb 13, 2024 at 10:27 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I was looking at new compared to used 2020MY+ models but the few/several thousand dollar difference I'd have bit at increased to $10k+ so I went used but prices will vary. At the end of the day just see what's available, what tends to go for what prices, what trims/equipment, what financing is available, rental or not, get your choices inspected/look at them with a magnifying glass and just do what fits your situation best.

Products Discussed in

To Top