1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rz valve job

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by smallduz, Jul 2, 2024.

1. Jul 2, 2024 at 11:11 PM
    smallduz

smallduz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Vehicle:
    1996 4runner 2.7L 3rz auto trans
    Bilstein 6112 adjustable height struts in front Old man emu 890 coils in rear with icon shocks BA tubular upper control arms to correct alignment specs after lift Tundra front brake upgrade with s13 we calipers Recent oem lower ball joints Lower control arm bushings steering rack bushings sway bar bushings 4.56 gears with oem Toyota differentials swapped in LC Engineering full length ceramic coated header with magnaflow cat and high flow muffler Head gasket was done about 20k miles ago oem gasket and head was resurfaced motor has 100k 255/75г17 toyo mt's tundra wheels painted with automotive base coat/ clear coat Bluetooth stereo with kicker speakers tint all the way around
    i wanna replace the valves, springs cams and everything else in there what are the best options for that?

2. Jul 5, 2024 at 7:58 AM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Unless something is wrong with your valves, don't do it. The 3rz is a great engine, but it's a bit like an Apple device, it's well designed in the hope it'll never need to be taken apart, because if you need to take it apart it's a nightmare. The valve adjustments are the only thing you should have to do outside of usual fluid changes.

To replace the valves you have to remove the head, to remove the head you need to remove the timing cover, to remove the timing cover you need to remove the oil pan, to remove the oil pan you have to either disconnect the engine from the transmission and jack the engine up or remove the front differential. I'm not exaggerating, doing a head gasket is more difficult than on a 5vz V6.

If you legitimately need to replace the valves, follow the guides on replacing the head gasket because you'll need to do all that. I'm not sure about replacing the valve springs, but I'd only mess with what is wrong.

3. Jul 14, 2024 at 11:04 PM
    smallduz

smallduz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Vehicle:
    1996 4runner 2.7L 3rz auto trans
    Bilstein 6112 adjustable height struts in front Old man emu 890 coils in rear with icon shocks BA tubular upper control arms to correct alignment specs after lift Tundra front brake upgrade with s13 we calipers Recent oem lower ball joints Lower control arm bushings steering rack bushings sway bar bushings 4.56 gears with oem Toyota differentials swapped in LC Engineering full length ceramic coated header with magnaflow cat and high flow muffler Head gasket was done about 20k miles ago oem gasket and head was resurfaced motor has 100k 255/75г17 toyo mt's tundra wheels painted with automotive base coat/ clear coat Bluetooth stereo with kicker speakers tint all the way around
    yeah i have low compression and i was reading that i would need to replace the valves cause they probable weren't seated right. i don't mind doing the work to it i have all the tool necessary ive just never worked on a Toyota before besides like breaks and small things.

the first and second cylinder has 121 on the compression and the 2 back have 90. do you think i would just need a valve adjustment?

4. Jul 15, 2024 at 6:14 AM
    CygnusX-4

CygnusX-4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD OR
    Check that first, but you'll likely find that your exhaust valves are burnt. This is pretty common when this engine gets high mileage. I would send the head out for valve job and have the head surface machined. The camshafts and springs are probably fine.

5. Jul 15, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    CygnusX-4

CygnusX-4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD OR
    You should also try adding oil to those cylinders and recheck compression.

Products Discussed in

To Top