1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 high idle swap in 2nd gen

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by SilentPursuit, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Jul 19, 2024 at 5:01 PM
    SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner 3.4 swapped 5 speed
    Ok so I am making some progress here, been doing a lot of searches. My idle wants to sit at 1500-2000rpm cold and about 1100-1200 when warmed up to operating temp. I checked again for a vacuum leak but nothing, cleaned throttle body and IAC and still nothing. Throttle cable is fine, I started it without cable. I did notice when I pull out on where the throttle cable attaches to throttle body I can get the rpm’s to drop down to 1000rpm. I have read where some added a washer, would I be better off just replacing the throttle body? Also it still won’t drop the rpm’s down to 750-800 where it should be and as soon as I drive it the rpm’s start going back up to 1500 rpm when I press the clutch in or put in neutral. Might sound like a stupid question but could removing the clutch fan make my idle higher since there’s less draw on the engine? I have aluminum radiator with electric fan and I can set what temperature the fan kicks on. When it dose kick on my rpm’s hit 1000 from the electrical draw. Thanks any input helps.

2. Jul 20, 2024 at 8:48 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    What do your fuel trims look like? I wonder if the ECU is trying to compensate for something.

SilentPursuit[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 20, 2024 at 9:38 PM
    SilentPursuit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have not found the obd2 from the swap, I will search hard tomorrow and determine if I need to add one in. Unfortunately I did not do the swap so many unknowns right now until I do some research. I kinda was thinking the same line as you, I know it will idle up for ac being on but it’s been deleted. I’ll pull the kick panel tomorrow and do some digging.

4. Jul 27, 2024 at 1:51 PM
    SilentPursuit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well I added a washer to the butterfly shaft and replaced the IAC valve. It’s definitely better but not perfect. I also did timing belt and water pump with all the goodies while I was in there. It idles at 1200 when I first start and drops down to 1000-1100 rpm once at operating temperature. It does not spike back up to 1500-2000 rpm when I start driving so I definitely made progress. I believe the throttle body to be warn out. Im gonna take it 4 hours away next weekend to do some elk scouting so I’ll put it to the test. I am going to pick up a obd2 port and wire one in the the ecu, just have to find one.

Products Discussed in

To Top