1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen. Tacoma Suspension on 4th Gen. 4Runner?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Gankd, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Nov 5, 2023 at 8:29 PM
    Gankd

Gankd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited
    You’re probably wondering why anyone would want to do this, so I’ll try to be concise.

I want to lift/level my 05 Limited. I was surprised to see 3rd Gen Taco TRD OR takeoffs used to achieve that. During my search for that, I instead scored this TX Baja suspension for a whopping $40. It came off a 2014 Tacoma.

It should bolt up, right? My plan is to clean up, degrease, polish, and swap bushings.
    Front:
    1.) Needs new KYB top hat and mounting hardware, maybe reuse OEM hardware as it only has 57k on it
    2.) Maybe lower bushing swap. I believe I found a moog replacement for 5100 series, but I’m not sure it will work for this. I think the TX Baja is the equivalent of a 6112 series?

Rear:
    1.) New hardware and bushings for the top (Not located yet, maybe reuse oem?) **I’ve seen Energy Suspension parts that maybe supply both too and bottom in polyurethane?**
    2.) New lower bushing (Need help for this)
    3.) locate spot for resis and try to make OEM bracket work

I have no idea how much this will lift. I know this suspension lifts a stock 14’ Tacoma approx. 1.75” over stock. I’m willing to install and just see what it does. I also know most people don’t advise using Tacoma rear shocks, but those are so easy to swap that I’m willing to give them a shot.

Let me know what you think and share any resources that might help me with locating parts. Thanks!

FBB3F34F-8709-4CC1-A6AE-305C1FC8636F.jpg

2. Nov 6, 2023 at 7:05 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 263K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    I ran Tacoma TRD Offroad takeoffs for years, they were great. See the suspension post linked in my sig for info you may find helpful.

xtremewlr likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2023 at 7:35 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Yeah, read @Bluesky 07 link. He and I have both ran Taco suspensions previously. Fronts work great but I do not recommend running the rear Taco shocks as they are not valved for the 4runner and will be too soft.

4. Nov 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM
    Gankd

Gankd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    xtremewlr likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top