1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

22r won't start after replacing alternator

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by oliverhsb, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Apr 13, 2023 at 8:35 PM
    oliverhsb

oliverhsb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle:
    1984 4runner - 22R - 5spd
    Tasteful Sticker Placement
    After my dash lit up with up with the battery and parking break light, I replaced the alternator on my 1984 4runner (22r). After getting the alternator out, I had to travel for a bit and then it took forever for new alternator to get here (I know, I should have ordered it before traveling), so the car hasnt been started in about 3-4 weeks. When I tried to start it (jump starting from my friends truck), it cranked a couple times before the clicking of a dead battery started. I let the battery charge from my friends truck for another 5 minutes, and same thing, my car cranked a couple times before the dead battery clicking noise and it would not crank anymore.

I checked all the wiring for the new alternator (bought it brand new), and everything looks good. Ive never had a problem starting the car (except for when my old battery went out) before I changed my alternator. Im not sure what else could have gotten messed up while changing the alternator as all I did was remove the lower radiator hose and the alternator itself.

I bought a multimeter to help diagnose the issue, but have honestly never used one. If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be, or which parts I should start testing with the multimeter, any help would be greatly appreciated! I hate having one of the best cars around and not being able to drive it!

2. Apr 14, 2023 at 3:00 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Well, first, put the battery on a slow charge overnight. You want it as full charged as it can be. Just cranking the truck off a jumped battery won't do squat. After it has charged overnight, check it with your multimeter. It should be about 12-13 VDC across the terminals.
    If you want, it's not a bad idea to take the battery in to an auto shop, and get it load tested. That will tell you whether the battery itself is good or not.

While it's charging, use a commercial charger, BTW, which you can buy at any auto parts store, clean the terminals, and the wires that go to them. A brass wire brush is the tool of choice for this. Double check the wires to the alternator. Especially the 3 in the plug, and the heavy wire going over to the battery. Don't neglect the ground wire!

Once the battery has slow charged over night, hook every thing back up as it should be. You'll need to crank it for about 15 seconds to begin with. Why? The carb bowl is empty after sitting for so long. Cranking it like that will fill the carb bowl.
    THEN give it the usual 3 pumps of the gas pedal, and crank it. It won't fire off instantly, most likely. Don't crank it more than 30 seconds at a time. If you need to crank it for 30 seconds, stop, and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Then push the gas pedal once, and crank it again. It should start.

Does all that rambling help? At all?
    Pat☺

Daddykool likes this.
  3. Apr 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Sounds like the battery it just dead dead if you ask me.

Won't even take a jump.

Since you have a multi meter just take voltage straight off the battery.

PhantomTweak likes this.
  4. Apr 15, 2023 at 1:03 PM
    oliverhsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle:
    Great, I appreciate your help a lot. Ill go get a trickle charger from an auto store. Im at college so I dont have all of my stuff here which makes it pretty difficult working on my car. Its always annoying knowing I have the tools back home, but I need to re-buy them at school in order to get back home!

5. Apr 15, 2023 at 1:06 PM
    tblt44

tblt44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    N/A
    I had a battery once that would not jump.
    Bad cell or shorted battery.
    New battery should fix your problem

6. Apr 15, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    oliverhsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I will probably go get my battery tested before I buy a trickle charger.

PhantomTweak likes this.
  7. Apr 16, 2023 at 4:55 PM
    oliverhsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle:
    Got the battery tested and they said it looked good, had them charge it up there with their fast charger, and got the car started pretty easily with the full charged battery. Thanks for all the help everyone, I thought even if the battery was dead a jump start would do the trick so I never considered it would be battery!

8. Apr 16, 2023 at 4:56 PM
    oliverhsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle:
    was so happy to get it started i gave my car a good wash, shouldnt have done that.... Noticed 3 new spider web cracks in the paint, and it looks like I might have some bondo on one of the fenders underneath the crack....

To Top