1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2025 4runner reliability

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Ozzy52, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Jun 25, 2024 at 4:08 AM
    Ozzy52

Ozzy52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sedan avalon
    None
    It will be interesting to see how reliable the 2025 4Runner will be compared to the fifth generation, and the issues that the Tundra and Lexus vehicles are experiencing. Has Toyota's reputation been tarnished?

2. Jun 25, 2024 at 4:31 AM
    2X4Runners

2X4Runners New Member

Member:
    I don’t think any of these models have a chance of being as reliable as the 5th gens. More parts and more complexity will result in more repairs at some point or another for the new turbo motors.

And for my perception of Toyota’s reputation, I was expecting some normal growing pains with these new models, but I’m honestly surprised at the number of really troublesome powertrain issues that started in 2022 and have continued through 2024 with no end in sight re: the 3rd gen Tundra. From what I’ve read, early adopters of the 2.4 haven’t had so many issues, so I’m hopeful the new 4R and LC250 will have a smoother roll out. That said, when Toyota diehards like me can only be cautiously optimistic about these new models, I think it’s fair to say that Toyota QC has some work to do in the coming years.

3. Jun 25, 2024 at 4:59 AM
    engineer90

engineer90 New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road Premium, 2016 2-door GTI S manual
    So here's my experience.

My MK7 GTI has the EA888 Gen 3 engine which is also a turbo I4 like the iForce. I got my GTI brand new as a 2016 model, but it had a few first year components such as the water pump and turbo, luckily they were covered under warranty and the dealer admitted they had issues with first year SKU parts that have failed. So they installed the updated SKU parts. In short, now at nearly 110k miles, my GTI has been reliable as hell. Engine runs smooth and still as strong as when it was brand new. Only basic maintenance and it's still a champ.

Anyways, VW gets a lot of shit, but the GTI has been reliable and they also have about 25+ years experience with turbo I4 engine. If maintained well, these engines can and do last past 200k.

I think the 6th gen 4R and 4th gen Taco will last just as long or longer. Toyota ain't no slouch obviously but these issues seem to be mostly first year issues.

Will they be as reliable as the 5th gen? I don't think so, but they will definitely be a hell of a lot more reliable than VW or any other car maker that uses turbo I4.

Han4Run likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    They’re not out yet so no one knows. Never buy the first couple of years of a new model.

Valmet, Steely123, Redwood and 2 others like this.
  5. Jun 25, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    NoDak

NoDak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    North Dakota
    it wont matter, its an endless cycle. people will compare the 1st year of a new gen to a 2024 that has had 15 yrs of fine tuning.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    In a few years, it will be as reliable. Stricter emission norms, out of flair high displacement NA engines , search for better fuel economy, perception for being environmentally friendly has led to manufacturers adapting and developing newer technologies.
    You have to incorporate the new with the tried and tested. These are teething peoblems in the formative years and it would be ironed out.
    This is not VW, or a Skoda or a BMW. Where if a brand new car breaks down, it is sorta expected.
    Reliability would still be Toyotas trump card and they would not like to have a permanent dent in it.

7. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:10 AM
    2X4Runners

2X4Runners New Member

Member:
    Not that I disagree, but watching Honda’s star fall over the course of about 15 years Im not entirely convinced this isn’t about designing new platforms with the USA “throw the car away in 10 years” market in mind.

8. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:15 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Vw makes shit vehicles so not really relevant here

Ripper238 likes this.
  9. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    IMO everything went downhill since 2020. Lack of parts, rush to get them to market and advancements we were not truly ready for. Its not going to smooth out for a very long time.

10. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:23 AM
    engineer90

engineer90 New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road Premium, 2016 2-door GTI S manual
    LMAO brother speak for yourself. I've owned my GTI for 8 years now and it has been reliable as hell. The interior is the same good quality as my ORP. Toyota is doing what VW has been doing for 25+ years with their new engines, so yes, relevant here actually.

Prior to it I had an Audi TT, super reliable as well. I bought that one at 100k miles and did have to swap some parts out because the previous owner neglected it, but after it was reliable as hell, sold it with about 180k miles and little issue.

VW recently screwed the pooch with their TDI emissions cheating and also the bullshit capacitive touch infotainment but their EA888 gen 3 and gen 4 have been reliable as hell.

11. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:38 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Yup.... Intended obsolescence is a very real thing.

Why would a car manufacture engineer and build something that you can drive for 20+ years. When they make more money selling you 2 or 3 cars in that time period?

To be clear I'm not saying the new 4Runner won't be reliable. I'm just pointing out an obvious incentive that many companies seem to follow. Not just cars by the way.

A good example this is an Apple Iphone. They could 100% make an iphone that will last 20+ years. Make the battery easy to replace. Make it simple and rugged without all the fancy features. Instead they sell you one that the battery is difficult to replace and they push out updates that make them slow and nearly obsolete within five years... So you buy a new one.

I hope the car industry isn't going that way. And I have a lot of faith in Toyota... But we'll see what happens.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2023-china-ev-graveyards/

12. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:48 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Just the facts brah, vw makes shit vehicles

Ripper238 likes this.
  13. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad Premium
    I doubt any vehicle will ever be as reliable as a 5th gen. Everything has become much too complex. Maybe if someone creates an EV without a ton of gimmicks and electronic BS then that could be super reliable.

14. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    2016Pro[QUOTED] and Ripper238 like this.
  15. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    It is guaranteed that it will not be reliable as 5th gen 4Runner.
    upload_2024-6-25_8-49-56.png

Even on Land Cruiser technical review looks like Toyota is going BMW route. So should not expect 5th gen 4Runner reliability in these new vehicles.
    upload_2024-6-25_8-55-52.png

Klinsman55 and engineer90 like this.
  16. Jun 25, 2024 at 7:59 AM
    Lost Woods

Lost Woods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P
    Toyota did very well doing this for nearly three decades but ultimately, it's not what customers wanted. Instead we get more tech and more complications that reduce initial reliability but at least we can be thankful Toyota still iterates and improves. The 2016 Taco wasn't great but I have ho doubt the later third gens will last mostly as long as the second gen trucks mechanically.

There's little outside an 80/100 Land Cruiser that will outlast a 5th gen 4Runner and while the 6th gen will have it's growing pains, I suspect they'll hammer out the dents by 2027 or so and it'll be a really good SUV for 95% of the market. For the rest of us, the 5th gen will be around for many years.

17. Jun 25, 2024 at 8:31 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Regulations force the technology changes. Car companies can't make low tech v8 and v6 motors for new vehicles anymore. Those days are over.

engineer90 and 1SilverRunner like this.
  18. Jun 25, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    You're right about the tech for sure.
    But I'm not sure if people in the USA want turbo/ hybrid or electric powertrains.
    Most people I have talked to about this prefer the older tech of a v6 or v8.
    But non elected bureaucrats in the EPA are pushing for this under the guise of emissions and air pollution.

Again, non elected. It is not incumbent on them to push policies that citizens want. They do not answer to citizens. They simply dictate what we can or can't do through policy.

2Toys and Skywarner like this.
  19. Jun 25, 2024 at 9:29 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    It’s because getting the whole country/Congress to understand and vote on the minutiae of each potential FCC, EPA, etc. regulation and tweak isn’t feasible and we want stability - so guidance from the branches of government the citizens vote on (as those select the leaders) but less potential for whiplash every election cycle.

They’re granted their specific areas of operation by Congress (ex. interpreting and executing the Clean Water Act), the president can influence the commission/board that runs them with the power to appoint replacements when the term is up* (put simply), and the judiciary can weigh in on lawsuits over these agency’s interpretations.

*or the president may have other means such as selecting/canning the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) head which serves at the president’s will for example. Seems like this varies.

So put very vaguely, if you like/don’t like the current FTC’s behavior for example, that should be a factor in one’s presidential preference.

2Toys likes this.
  20. Jun 25, 2024 at 9:33 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    And it is.
    Personally I'd like to put more of these agencies back into the private sector. Abolish the ATF. Shrink the FBI, shrink the EPA. Less government regulation. More free market economy.

But this is not the right forum for that kind of talk :anonymous:

21. Jun 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM
    BlueBabySound

BlueBabySound New Member

Member:
    I don't like all of the EPA crap they're forcing on car makers, but I'm only interested in the 6Gen for the increased mpg (and hopefully range) over the 5gen.

The 6Gen trailhunter checks a lot of boxes for me and the wife, it's configured closely to how we use our modified 2 door Jeep currently. With the 6gen I'm giving up a front locker, going to smaller/weaker axles, much smaller tires; but I'm gaining space, mpg and a factory build/warranty.

If the 6gen was the same mpg as the 5gen then I'd rather buy a Jeep for more capability off road. But maybe that's just me...???

22. Jun 25, 2024 at 10:14 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    That's a fair take. I think there should be a choice though.

Jeep offers many different engines in the Wrangler. I'd have liked to have the choice between a turbo 4 cylinder and a v6/v8 in the 6th Gen. But that's a lot of extra cost in designing and manufacturing. So I can understand why Toyota hasn't gone that route regardless of government policy.

Personally if I was giving up the reliability of the 5th gen 4Runner I'd just get a four door Jeep. Despite the small mpg loss.

BlueBabySound[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 25, 2024 at 10:19 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    It has definitely been tarnished. New yota models can not be afforded the assumption of superior reliability

24. Jun 25, 2024 at 4:44 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    F150 was just recalled for unexpectedly shifting into 1st gear from any other gear regardless of speed. Don't expect better reliability from Ford.

25. Jun 25, 2024 at 4:47 PM
    Ozzy52

Ozzy52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sedan avalon
    None
    I would still buy a recalled Toyota any time of the day .

26. Jun 25, 2024 at 8:14 PM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    Maybe it will be less reliable than the 5th gen but still the most reliable vehicle sold in the US. I could live with that. There are so many positives. Built in Japan using Japanese suppliers. Uses their new high volume I4 that replaces the high volume V6 and they already have significant experience with it. Follows Toyota strategy of putting extra cost and content into first year vehicle and looking for safe cost reduction opportunities later...protecting the customer and brand reputation (first year Prius has bulletproof reputation). Shares powertrains with Tacoma which is critically important vehicle so I'm guessing they're using the A-team and jumping on quality issues. Plenty of reliable turbos on market like CRV and every 18-wheeler. Toyota is the company that destroyed the myth that features and complexity reduce quality with the LS400 (35 years ago)...quality commitment and process discipline can offset complexity. Clear proven leader in hybrid technology...can't think of a Toyota hybrid with a bad reputation or even a broadly known single quality concern. Built in arguably the best assembly plant in the world. I don't need (or plan) to keep a vehicle for 20 years and 400K but I'd sure appreciate more effortless acceleration (and maybe enough torque so I can carry a canoe into a strong headwind) and even more comfort plus suspension and electronics that make it safer and more usable on ice-covered bumpy rural roads where the Gen 5 absolutely sucks compared to my wife's CRV (the ABS and traction control are dumber than any vehicle I can remember). I don't plan to wait very long to get one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  27. Jun 25, 2024 at 8:24 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    This is exactly why I think the "green" movement is a scam. Green would be making a vehicle that lasts for 20 years and 300k miles. Even if it's emissions aren't quite as good. Green doesn't start and end at the exhaust pipe.

28. Jun 26, 2024 at 8:11 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Honda VTEC 4 cylinders are far from "low tech" yet where about as reliable as any car ever made in the late 90s/early 2000s. Reliability doesn't start and end with a push rod iron block v8 (some of which where a lot less reliable than our beloved aluminum DOHC v6)

Not familiar with that website but JDPower, Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, etc all agree about VW ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4R4L_2023 and 2016Pro[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Jun 26, 2024 at 9:38 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Yes but vtec is old tech now. It's turbos, hybrids small motors in today's world

30. Jun 26, 2024 at 9:45 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Damn. Jeep at the very bottom?

Products Discussed in

To Top