1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 V8 transmission failure

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Wazana9050, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    Wazana9050

Wazana9050 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner V8 limited
    Hi everyone, first time poster and relatively new to the 4Runner space. My 2007 V8 limited has 160K on it. It’s not my daily driver and my daughter was driving it the other night when a coyote came out in front of her. She slammed the brakes and avoided hitting it. Issue is that the truck suddenly started clunking. She pulled over and called me. When I got there, truck would not hold in Park or drive forward in any gear. Got it towed and the output shaft between the transmission and transfer case snapped, metal in transmission and it was trashed. Anyone ever experience anything close to this??

2. Apr 18, 2024 at 3:32 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Only thing I can think of causing this is she maybe hit the gear shift when she slammed on the brakes, causing the transmission to eat itself. She might not have even realized it happened.

3. May 6, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    Muggsy71

Muggsy71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2003 4runner
    I could be wrong but, I thought there was some sort of safety mechanism to prevent something like that from happening? Anyway, that sucks, sorry to hear it. Next time, tell her to run over that sob.

4. May 8, 2024 at 6:39 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I’d guess it was an Act of God or somehow the transmission was teetering already.

The transmissions are definitely idiot-proofed to an extent though, Garage 54 had to remove a bunch of sensors before the computer would allow a shift into reverse at a speed higher than… maybe 5 mph? in a RAV4 older than this.

Products Discussed in

To Top