1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 4Runner v6 4x4 weird issues speedometer, odometer, gas gauge

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Richmassey, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Apr 20, 2024 at 8:38 AM
    Richmassey

Richmassey [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner v6
    Hey all
    Was driving yesterday morning and noticed my speedometer stopped working.
    I got the p0500 code.
    Also noticed my odometer is stuck which is cool but not lol
    And my gas gauge every time I go up and down hills it’s moving up and down as the gas moves around. Maybe that’s not related buy it did start yesterday too.
    Also the digital number that read the range left in the tank is not properly calibrating with the amount of gas in my tank.

Checked around the fuses, all seems ok unless I’m missing something.

My OBD reader is limited so would it be best to get a shop to check this from their Advanced computer?

Couldn’t find another post with same issue as mine with the gas gauge problem.

Thx in advance

2. Apr 20, 2024 at 8:42 AM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    Autozone or Oreilly and borrow their OBD. It's free and they will give you a print out.

Sounds like an electrical problem and/or your instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

If so, you'll have to get a special order one from the dealer. If you replace with a used one, your mileage will be off, which I think is illegal when you go to sell the vehicle. Don't quote me on that.

3. Apr 20, 2024 at 8:51 AM
    Richmassey

Richmassey [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner v6
    Here in Chinada our auto parts stores don’t do that lol

4. May 6, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    Muggsy71

Muggsy71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2003 4runner
    I had a similar problem one time, minus the gas gauge. Speedometer and odometer quite working, also had VSC warning lights on when it happened. Took to Advance, they plugged the reader in and it spit out some codes, can’t remember what they were. Employee tells me the 4wheel drive computer was getting ready to croak and suggested that I take it and trade it in asap. LOL, anyway, as I was walking back to the 4runner I noticed that the tailpipe was full of dirt, so I gave it a little kick and it was just swinging loosey goosey. Took it back home and crawled underneath, the tail pipe was broken where it goes over the back axle and the heat had melted the ABS sensor wire, causing a short. Fixed that and it fixed speedometer, odometer and warning lights. What precipitated all this is me backing into the side of a hill when I was in a hurry, which broke the tailpipe.

Bluesky 07 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top