1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 T4R Sport front end rebuild

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Oldbutalive, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    Oldbutalive

Oldbutalive [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I am hoping some of you can help me out. I just ordered a complete front end kit for the wifeys 2002 4Runner. The front end probably hasn't been touched forever if ever surely not by me. I have replaced the struts and the swaybar links as well as the steering rack bushings not too long ago. Now the big stuff is going to get ripped out and replaced. My question is what exactly do I need to install the new ball joints? I do not have any special front end tools other than the normal gorilla stuff like pickle forks. I have been thinking about getting the OTC ball joint press kit but I don't know what exactly I need for that kit to make sure it works on this vehicle? Will the basic kit do the job or do I need some additional adapters? Appreciate any/all advice you all are willing to give thank you in advance.

2. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:19 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I did exactly what you are doing. I made sure I only bought TOYOTA parts. No aftermarket garbage.

You need to press the upper ball joints on and off the steering knuckles. I found I had to remove the knuckles from the vehicle to work on them. The press in the OTC kit was too large to fit in the wheel well. Plus I could inspect the wheel bearings and replace the seal with the knuckle off.

I bought these tools:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIYPSS?ie=UTF8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH7O?ie=UTF8&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O1C396?ie=UTF8

You will also need an impact wrench and a big ass impact socket to get the steering knuckles off the front axle. Got one at Autozone or Advance.

I justified the tool cost because I was doing a complete front end replacement including the steering rack and all ball joints, bushings, shocks and springs and I can do other front ends down the line.

I did not do the wheel bearings because there was ZERO play. But I do have a 20ton press, if I decided to go that deep. I did not do the control arms. They squeek a tiny bit now, so maybe one day I'll get back to it.

3. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM
    Oldbutalive

Member:
    Thank you Negusm! Did you really need the big OTC service kit or can I get by with just the starter kit and the asian vehicle adapters? I did not buy OEM for this stuff as the vehicle has 290k on the clock and we only want it to last another year or so. I just did the entire top half of the engine pulled the heads and had them gone through. Replaced the charcoal canister couple weeks ago and now I am looking at replacing a bunch of other Evap stuff to fix that damn CEL that has been around for quite a few years. The front end kit comes with everything from Rock Auto and I have had good luck with the parts I have gotten from them in the past. They should last at least another year or so and that's all I'm asking.

4. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:34 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Maybe the smaller OTC will work? I don't know exactly what pieces I mixed and matched. You can probably try the smaller kit and that might be enough. The huge C-Clamp is def required.

Honestly why bother with this job if you just need 12 months out of it? If your wheel bearings are good, and the ball joints don't have play...just drive it. I did it only because I wanted to get another decade and as my DD I wanted to eliminate any looseness I could in the steering.

5. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:37 PM
    Oldbutalive

Member:
    It's my wifes daily and I drove it recently and the front end feels really loose and it made me uncomfortable having her drive it. Believe I don't want to put more money into this damn thing but we can't afford a new or even a new used vehicle at this time so I must soldier on and do whatever work needs doing to keep this thing running and safe for her.

6. Jul 16, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    But where is the play? Also, do NOT get aftermarket ball joints. You MUST use OEM. Even my original TOYOTA ones at 250k miles were not going to fail any time soon when I took them off.

So many aftermarket ball joint failures these days. Just don't chance it.

Also, make sure the original recall was done. If not, then TOYOTA will do the lowers for FREE.

7. Jul 16, 2024 at 1:06 PM
    Oldbutalive

Member:
    I hear you loud and clear but I already ordered the entire kit and it comes with the ball joints? Returning it just isn't an option. Comes with upper and lower control arms with bushings already installed which is a huge time saver for me as I don't have a press. And how are these ball joints failing? I am buying all OEM stuff for the fuel tank and evap fixes but I'm not one to be super anal about getting all OEM stuff? I did get all OEM stuff for the upper end rebuild but that was not super expensive either. The tires are wearing really bad so it's got to be either the ball joints or the control arm bushings and I am guessing both with nearly 300k on the clock.

8. Jul 16, 2024 at 6:04 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD

Products Discussed in

To Top