1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1GR misfires and a bunch of codes

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by DarthLo, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Jun 9, 2024 at 6:54 PM
    DarthLo

DarthLo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 2WD 4Runner
    Hi, my 4Runner (V6) is been misfiring occasionally (like a 1 to 3 shakes out of nowhere and then stops) for a week and a half now without any clear sign of what could be wrong, I checked for signs of a worn head gasket, spark plugs and coils with no luck. Is currently 223,000 miles so after that I checked the timing chain, looking through the little window on the passenger side of the engine, it seems like the tensioner is extending a little more than usual so even though it wasn't throwing any code I ordered a timing chain kit and stopped using the truck.

The kit hasn't arrived yet, but today I took the truck out again for a 8 mile trip. It completed the first half of the trip with no misfires and then sat for about 20 to 30 min at the destination, but when I turned it on again to go home it started misfiring, not a single shake here and there like before but a persistent misfire this time... Finally got a check engine light (flashing) and codes P0301, P0102, P0113, P0121, P0123 and P2132. After a few seconds it went back to normal so I baby it home and made it back.

I looked their meanings, being misfire on Cyl #1, MAF and TPS problems, but I'm wondering if there could be another issue causing those codes to come up together since it seems a little odd to me to have non and all of a sudden they come at the same time like is a party. And that how I ended up here asking for advice.

What do you guys think? should I address them as separate problems or there could be a single issue causing all those codes together?

Thanks

2. Jun 9, 2024 at 7:16 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    A few thoughts - simple ones first. Has the throttle body and MAF sensor been cleaned periodically? These are easy tasks, but important ones to keep your engine running properly.

A bit more complicated - at the mileage you have now, since you said you checked for a head gasket problem and found no defects, I would suggest a compression check on each cylinder. Valve seats wear, and eventually it will cause a loss of compression. Maybe only a few PSI, but eventually enough that the ECM won't be able to compensate.

Others will chime in, but without further information, these are a good start.

3. Jun 9, 2024 at 7:30 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I would do a careful check all the way on the intake section thru the throttle and into the engine to make sure you are not pulling any vacuum and generating either lean or rich conditions. Then try to follow the gas lines and ensure you are not cracked somewhere and nothing looks weird. Think of like doing an overall pressure test of the system and go from there. Hope you find the issue.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    1SilverRunner and 2Toys like this.
  4. Jun 11, 2024 at 2:29 PM
    DarthLo

DarthLo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 2WD 4Runner
    I clean the MAF periodically, however I have never cleaned the TPS. Thanks for the advise on the valve seats. I didn't consider that.

2Toys[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 11, 2024 at 2:39 PM
    DarthLo

DarthLo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 2WD 4Runner
    I did this and found that the intake was not properly secured to the throttle body. That could be the source of the codes, leaving the misfire as a separate problem. I cleaned the MAF, secured everything correctly, and reset the codes. I'll have to wait until the weekend to clean the throttle and check the compression and gas lines. At least for now, the codes haven't shown up again.

ChessGuy[QUOTED] and 2Toys like this.
  6. Jun 11, 2024 at 2:42 PM
    DarthLo

DarthLo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 2WD 4Runner
    Thanks for your help, guys. Once I'm sure everything is at 100%, I'll post again to confirm the source of the issues and whether they were related, in case anyone else encounters a similar problem in the future.

2Toys likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top