1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1gr-fr comparability

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 4thgen lurk, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Apr 14, 2024 at 7:48 PM
    4thgen lurk

4thgen lurk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    4th gen 4r
    Greetings,

my 2004 4r is starting to get up there in kilometeres. Looking into rebuilding it and learning they aren’t the best engines to rebuild.

so I’m thinking of going for a swap instead. There really isn’t any low km 4th gens in my area that would be worth my time and money. But there are a lot of written off 5th gens with untouched front ends.

im hoping to get some info on what it would take to swap a newer generation 1gr into this thing. I would love to get rid of the 4 speed for a 5 aswell.

From my understanding they are the same engine. But differ, what are these differences?

Is the 5 speed the same size?

can use everything else in my drive train?

would it just be a direct engine, harness and ecu swap?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I grew up swapping Hondas and swapping engines is nothing new. But they really are as easy as bolt off bolt on. Hoping this will be somewhat similar.

This 4runner has been the daily while I build others but want to start getting into building a 4x4. Would like to get her mint before I start modding for dirt

2. Apr 14, 2024 at 10:08 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    ^You have a 4-speed?

3. Apr 15, 2024 at 7:00 AM
    4thgen lurk

4thgen lurk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    4th gen 4r
    Yessir 4 speed automatic.

If I could find a 5 speed manual I would prefer that, but looking into it will cause loads of more work. And will have to run with newer 1gr’s as I plan to swap most electronics to a newer ecu.

if I could make the never 1gr work with my current 4 speed I would do that all first and swap the tranny later as my current one is in great shape.

but I can’t see it working like that

Products Discussed in

To Top