1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1995 4Runner V6 Auto Trans - Can't find Trans cooler elbow...

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by SkunkApe, May 7, 2024.

1. May 7, 2024 at 2:06 PM
    SkunkApe

SkunkApe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0L Auto
    Hello all,

I'm trying to fix up a 1995 4Runner, 3L V6, with the automatic transmission. Right now, it's leaking profusely from one of the trans cooler elbows, where the cooler line attaches with a flare-fitting.

There are two cooler lines coming off the trans on the passenger-side, one in front, one in the rear, and they go to the cooler in the front of the vehicle. The one in front is the one that's leaking.

I went to the local Toyota dealership, and the elbow they tried to give me looks like the one in the rear (visible on the left of the trans-side photo). That one isn't going to clear that sensor in the photo...as you see the front elbow has a longer "neck" and a roughly 45-60 degree angle to clear what I'm assuming is a trans temp sensor?? But the parts diagrams they have are so old there's no detail.

I've tried to unscrew the fitting at the flare nut...it's rusted solid.If I can find the right elbow, I can cut the line, unscrew the old elbow from the transmission, screw the new one in, and maybe get a small section of line flared, then use a comp coupling to re-connect it to the remaining cooler line. Worst case I'd use a reinforced rubber fuel line with some hose clamps as a temporary patch. But I'd need to find a fitting that will clear that sensor.

Is the "bung" on the transmission a standard size? Is this elbow possibly an aftermarket part??

If not, if this is OEM...anyone have any idea where I can find this elbow??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Ed

Products Discussed in

To Top