1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'16 Limited Change in Tires

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TheSponge, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Sep 3, 2024 at 8:59 AM
    TheSponge

TheSponge [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I have a '16 Limited I picked up about a year ago. The vehicle came with aftermarket rims and tires (BFGs AT). The rims are 20" as OEM, and the tires are 275/55/20 (E rated), rim as pictured below if it matters.

I am looking at changing over to the ever so popular 17" rim option. But before I do so, I have a few questions.

1) I am looking at the 17" Replika 213's (TRD Knock Offs). Any feedback on these? From my research they seem to be the best thing unless I went OEM ($$$$). These rims would be on a daily driver, year round in Canadian winters.

2) Size wise, I would go with 265/70/17. Is there another option I should consider? The vehicle is fully stock and will remain stock. No off-roading for this thing.

3) I keep reading that the load rating has a lot to do with the ride quality. It appears every tire I like is E rated, there seems to be not a lot of C rated options. How much should I still consider this aspect in the tire choice?

4) I prefer the look of the BFG ATs on the vehicle and wouldn't mind going with a similar style tire if it comes in a C rating. Are there particular tires you guys would recommend?

And will my ride change night and day from going from the 20s to the 17s and lets say I kept the BFG ATs in E rating but only in a 17" size.

[​IMG]

2. Sep 3, 2024 at 9:40 AM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    Why not go with OE TRD wheels - real ones - and some C-rated 265/70/17 BFG KO2s or 3s?

I recently bought four Toyota (not knockoffs) TRD wheels for $217.30 per; tax, shipping, etc., $959.15 to the door.
    In the size you're looking at, there's no reason to go with E-hated... I mean E-rated tires. Stick with C or SL.

IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    catbrown357 and TheSponge[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 3, 2024 at 10:07 AM
    TheSponge

Member:
    Great, point. I priced out the OEM set locally (Canada) and it's just absurd on the cost of it. $398/per wheel versus $190, hence why I am looking at Replika ones.

Are those C rated BFG Ats? How do you like the ride? Any vibrations?

4. Sep 3, 2024 at 10:15 AM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    Yeah locally - anywhere - they're going to be stupid expensive. I got mine from Bam Wholesale Parts bam wholesaleparts dot com (take out the spaces - this site still blocks links). World Toyota is an Atlanta Toyota dealership and they have an online store. The prices were like $500 at the dealership and $240 online.

Yes - C-rated 265/70/17 BFG KO2s. My Limited also came with those silly 20" wheels and minivan tires. I think the ride is at least as good now, if not better. Maybe it doesn't handle quite as good... maybe? But the new tires are a tiny bit wider. That's likely mitigating the increased sidewall flex a bit. I love the ride/drive.

265/70/17s are a stock 4Runner tire, so the net diameter is the same as the OE 20s.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 1.14.14 PM.png

TheSponge[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 3, 2024 at 3:25 PM
    TheSponge

Member:
    The handling currently I find is great, not sure if it’s due to XREAS or the tires (20”) but I find they are a bit harsh lol - especially in cold weather (stiff sidewall?). I’m in Canada so shipping is killing me - I think OEM trd rims are out of the question unless I find them used even then it’s hard to find and potentially a knock off.

I’m just thinking with the C rated tires the ride will be a bit smoother and maybe some fuel mileage improvements

Got a photo of your setup to see from afar?

6. Sep 4, 2024 at 4:44 PM
    TheSponge

Member:
    So I stand corrected, the 20” BFGs ATs I have no are a load range D, not E.

I did find a local set of used BFGs in 265/70/17 (E) with some ford rims (don’t care for them obviously) for $1100 CAD (~$820 USD). I’ll have to go see them check depth wear and manufacture year.

Products Discussed in

To Top