1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 4runner tailgate window and lock don’t work when the truck is running.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by IRISH0627, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Jun 7, 2023 at 8:42 AM
    IRISH0627

IRISH0627 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Last Month:

Symptoms started with rear wiper coming on when the truck was put into drive and would randomly come on throughout driving. Around the same time the rear decklid became harder and harder to unlock. Pressing unlock on the key fob 10 or 12 times to get it to finally unlock. My rear window would only work when the key was in the run position and it would almost pulse down when you held the button. Almost stuttering like I’m rapidly pressing the down button but in reality, I’m holding it down.

Unplugged the wiper (that was very annoying)

Decklid lock started to fail even more and eventually wouldn’t unlock at all.

This Month:

Replaced the rear gate latch with 69110-35090 from Amazon. Same issues, maybe a little better. Decklid was hard to unlock and would usually only unlock when you cycle the key from ACC to ON while spamming the unlock button on the driver’s door. Sometimes from the FOB if you pressed it enough.
    After replacing the lock, I did reconnect the rear window wiper. It doesn’t work with the switch on the steering column and has never turned on since.
    Rear window seemingly got worse and would only work on occasion and only with the key in the run position. If you try the window button on the fob the truck just lets out a beep and does nothing. Similar for if you try the key in the deck lid. Nothing happens.

Replaced the Tailgate Multiplex Control Module 89222-35010 (nothing changed, used on eBay.). I new it was good but I just had to be sure. The blue wire and small blue with red stripe are getting 12v on Tailgate Multiplex Control Module.

Cut apart the rubber wiring hardness boot that goes from the truck to the decklid. Harness looks great, no damage I could find.

Continuity tested every wire coming from the truck into the decklid. Everything tested out okay except I never found a light green with yellow stripe wire in the deck lid itself to continuity test. There’s several dark green with a larger yellow stripe but nothing light green with a thin yellow stripe. Figured it didn’t matter and moved on.

Techstream pulled B2221 (Pulse sensor circuit on back door). This is the first time in the whole process I remember techstream exists. Cleared the code.

I believe the window motor itself has a pulse sensor. Replaced the window motor (used from a junkyard 85720-35150). NOW THE DEKCLID LOCK IS WORKING. Key fob, Truck running and truck off all seem to work.

Rear window still only works when the key is in the run position. But window relay in the multiplex module never stops clicking when the window button is held down. So, you can never normalize the rear window. The rear window still pulses and doesn’t go all the way down or up in one smooth motion.
    This video demonstrates my point
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8srn9mfojud7fc1/IMG_0936.MOV?dl=0
    Rear wiper still doesn’t work. Is there a pulse sense in the rear window wiper that’s causing this?
    Any help would be great.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 28, 2023 at 5:12 PM
    chrissaguilarr

chrissaguilarr New Member

Member:
    I am also having the same issue. '04 4runner window and lock only actuate when the car key is in the "on" position (not fully turned), but the window/lock wont actuate when the engine is running (the key is fully turned here). If anyone knows of a solution please help!

Products Discussed in

To Top